Need Advice, new to all of this

Started by GaryandKari, March 20, 2008, 08:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryandKari

Have an electric smoker.  I am smoking a turkey breast, around 8pds, but I want to add some ribs for dinner later on in the week.  I am not sure what to use.  We have apple, hickory, cherry, pecan, alder, mixed blend. 

We're so new, we don't know which is best when you do poultry and pork together.

I will be brining the turkey in a pineapple, lime, garlic mix.
Ribs will have a pecan honey rub. (purchased at Cabelas)

I was thinking Apple and Pecan and finish with Cherry?

So glad I found you all.

NePaSmoKer

Hi and welcome GaryandKari

Alder is great on poultry, cherry and apple is good on ribs. Mix if you can and get a diff taste.
The brine of the turkey will make it moist. pecan honey is good. I work at Cabelas  ;D

nepas

La Quinta

Hey G&K...welcome! I like the apple, pecan and cherry idea...but I am a hickory gal when it comes to anything (well except fish)...just give it a whirl and let us know how it comes out!! :)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Gary and Kari,
Welcome to the forum.

Smoke flavor is a personal taste. So saying that my choice would be pecan, but blending the flavors sounds good. Pecan is my favorite with pork, and goes well with poultry. Apple would be my second choice, because that goes well with chicken. If you like a stronger smoke flavor, hickory is also a good choice. If you plan to do both together I would keep the smoke time down to 1:40 to 2:00 hours. You don't need more than that for poultry (or ribs).

When smoking poultry with skin on keep your vent at least 3/4 open. This will avoid moisture build up in the cabinet, prevent the skin from turning into "leather", and prevent any moisture from leaking out of the bottom of your smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  The blend you mentioned sounds pretty good to me.  I like apple on chicken and almost anything on ribs.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

iceman

Welcome GaryandKari;
Glad you found us here in the land of smoke. It's a fun place to visit and share ideas.
They pretty much covered things so go out there and start smoking and enjoy the weekend.