• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

RV generator

Started by whitetailfan, March 12, 2008, 07:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

Hey guys, I can smell the camping in the air.
I am looking at getting a generator for boondocking, and I'm torn between a 1000+/-watt inverter style, and getting a 3000w gen that would power AC.
For those of you not in Canada, the AC is a seldom used option, but when I travel to BC interior in July or head south and hit 45C in Washington in 2006, it was very needed.  In Wash I had 30 amp hookups all the time.

Anyway, I know I need a battery helper with my new rig, and so I'm torn with the decision - weight and sound vs performance on appliances.

Also part 2 - any of you Canucks know where there is a dealer of Champion generators?

Right now Canuck Tire has a 4000/3000 watt Champion on special purchase.  I like it OK, but after viewing the Championpowerequipment.com website I want the RV ready 3500/3000 model that is Canada version, but I cant find it anywhere.  One guy on RV.net told me Costco had them, but they are not listed on Costco.ca  I might have to run down and have a look.  The inverter I am looking at is the Yardworks 950/850 at Canuck as well.  My buddy has one and it is nice and quiet, will run the battery charger (only) and has a nice warranty.

What do you think?

Any opinions out there?
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Wildcat

My previous RV did not have a generator and was a 30 amp.  I purchased a portable (kind of) Honda 3000 and it ran eveything just fine.  Just could not run the microwave and air conditioner at the same.  It also produced clean power so it was able to run electronics like a computer.  If you do not need it for air, then a 1000 should be fine and you could probably even go smaller.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

WTF

I'm not sure what size you should get, probably something you will have to decide but I did look at the Yardworks 950. I read through the customer ratings on the CT site. Something that this model has that is not advertised is an "idle down" feature which runs the generator at lower RPM's when under light loads automatically according to some of the reviews. I assume this is something better than just a governer(spl?). I don't know much about this but I would think it would be a good option for an RV.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

That idle down option is great Mike.  Really saves on fuel consumption.  Mine had that as well.  Also, for campgrounds that allow generator use, many require one that is quiet.  The one I had was very quiet.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

whitetailfan

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Mike, I did read that comment from the review on CT as well, my buddy has one and its dead quiet little gem.
Only issue is I am a terrible bargain guy and it pains me to see the larger gens so cheap.  One guy on RV net told me the 3000w Champion was on sale right now at Costco at like $250.

My budget is keeping me out of the premium units, but now that I'm down here in the knock-off realm there is still too much choice.  Too bad Champion did not have an inverter style.  I ran across a McCulloch on the Costco site - it was recommended by someone - but it is an 1800 inverter style.  Only issue is that the rated dB are actually louder than a Champion open frame LOL

I had made up my mind for convenience of camping and packing that I would get an inverter 1000, so CT Yardworks still looks good, I just need them to come on sale again, they are still full price $500 and they come down to $400 or $350.

Walleye, if you spot them in a flyer drop me a line....

John
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Mr Walleye

John

Not a problem I will let you know if I see it. I'm also a bargin hunter. I get CT's e-flyer emailed to me. If you don't you should sign up for it. It's free and they sometimes have items on sale that are not displayed as such in the store but they will always honor it if you bring it in with you. I noticed on the site a couple of the opinions noted that they paid $349 on sale so I would expect it on sale in the not too distant future again.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

hotrod

Hey whitetail fan...

heres what i know on the inverters... I would say depending on the ol pocket book the "honda" 3000i watt inverter runs the ac no problem in my holiday trailer... they run about $2000 usually cheaper on ebay.  there are some cheaper brands as well but thought i would let ya know these are quieter than the neighbors snoring.... see what ya think tho if you have a honda dealership around there may be worth looking good luck ... if all else fails ebay usually is the cheapest once ya find the model numbers...  :)