• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

fresh corned beef

Started by CLAREGO, March 27, 2008, 01:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

put some fresh corned beef in the smoker today i rinsed it off first. applying about 3.5 of hickory then throwing in the crock pot. i think i got 6lbs of it it was .99 a lb at giant so i thought what the heck !

Carter

Nice Clarego.

Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?

1.  Did you brine & spice it yourself or buy it pre-packaged at the Butcher shop.
2.  I'm a bit confused by brisket.  6 lbs seems like a big piece of meat.  That's more than a brisket flat isn't it?  My butcher sells the flats, but they are about half that size.
3.  How long did it take in the crock pot after 3.5 hours of smoking?  Low or High?
4.  What degree of done are you trying to reach (medium rare, medium, well done)?
5.  How did it turn out?
6.  Do you have pictures?

Thanks.

Carter

allen_d

i made a corned beef as well a couple weeks ago.  it was about 4 pounds.  i soaked it overnight to extract some of the salt/cure.  drained it, and soaked it another day. 

i smoked it with some pork to be pulled @ 210 deg.  I smoked for 4 hours with maple.  It took about 18 hours til it was done. 

It was the best piece of meat I have had in some time.... (don't tell my wife i said that...) 

It tasted like ham.... though much much better...  i would highly reccomend it to anyone. 

CLAREGO

it turned out horrible should of soak it for at least a day. it was pre made corned beef no pictures i did add it to some beans and it was alright.this was to flats crock pot on high for a total cook time of 8 hours. like allen pointed out i did not let it soak that long wow!!!