• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rub salt removing moisture???

Started by tturaider, April 28, 2008, 09:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

What is your opinion on a rub with high salt content robbing the meat of moisture? ???
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

Gizmo

Salt will definitely pull moisture out of meat. 
The interesting thing is many of the rubs and recipes say to rub and refrigerate for 8 hours or more.  One would think that every piece of meat ever rubbed would be so dry that it would be like eating cotton.  I don't think salt content and moisture draw are in many of the considerations for those instructions as the desire is to get the seasoning into the meat and the salt moisture transfer has a bit to do with that. 

You stated rub but if you want even more info, Habs, I believe, posted some good information about salt in brine solutions and how it pulls water out but then through the magical process of solutions wanting to return to equilibrium, some of the water returns with the flavorings in tow.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Cook's Illustrated printed an article on grilling chicken. In their testing they found that dry rubs with salts, when initially applied will draw moisture out of the meat for the first 3 hours, after that the process reverses and the salt will begin to draw the moisture back into the meat along with any flavors that have dissolved in the juices. It's the same process as when you dry brine with only salt (which is how kosher poultry is brined).

For maximum effect you should leave refrigerated for at least 8 hour or more. For poultry you will not see that much moisture being drawn out, but for red meat, I often notice quite a bit. I've found that wrapping red meat tightly in plastic wrap, during this process helps keep what moisture that had been initially drawn out in close contact with the meat, instead of pooling in one corner of a plastic bag. Keeping the moisture in close contact is important, if it is pooled away from the meat, it can not be drawn back.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tturaider

When I marinate with a rub it try to let it set for at least 24 hours if not more.  I always wrap mine with a clear plastic wrap as well.  Habs from what you are saying its ok to let a rub set as long as its longer than 3 hrs? 

tturaider

O one other thing when I let the meat set I put it in a foil pan and there is always blood in the bottom....not a bunch but some.  So the ? is...if i put a rub on with no salt would there be less blood in the pan or more?

iceman

Like Habs said 8 hours is the mark to hit to let the meat re absorb the moisture that came out. The exception would be vacum marinading such as the Reveo which only takes 20 minutes.
Less salt will draw out less moisture.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tturaider on April 29, 2008, 08:18:21 AM
O one other thing when I let the meat set I put it in a foil pan and there is always blood in the bottom....not a bunch but some.  So the ? is...if i put a rub on with no salt would there be less blood in the pan or more?

As Iceman pointed out, you need to go at least 8 hours; at the 3 hour mark the process start to reverse and draw the moisture back in. If you place a rub with out salt, the meat will not absorb as much flavor. I can't answer whether there will be less juices if you did not use a non-salt rub, because I noticed meat will lose moisture after removing the store packaging, and placing them in a plastic bag; that even after patting it dry with a paper towels.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tturaider

I guess ill just have to try a few different ways of doing it to see which way works best with what im using.  So i'd better get the kegerator back up and runnig cuz it looks like im gona need a lot of beverages while im waiting!!!