• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Very small brisket

Started by GaryandKari, April 11, 2008, 08:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryandKari

We bought a 2.5 pd brisket we'd like to smoke.  How long should it take?  I assume in reading other posts to take it to 190-200?  Any tips in smoking a small brisket versus a large one?

SKSmoker

This is a brisket flat I am assuming? Wow. that is small. You are going to have a long wait on your hands. The leaner the meat, the longer it will take to break down and become tender. I had a 3.5# flat that took 24 hours at 250 on the BDS. Forget temperature with a brisket, especially something this small and lean. You want it to be fork tender, so that when the fork is inserted, there is little resistance. It should feel like putting a fork into butter. Figuring that a brisket typically looses 50% of the weight, not sure how much will be left after this is cooked. Mind you, if it is real lean, it probably won't loose a ton. 

A large one will actually take less time because of the fat in the meat. I did a 15lb packer in 22 hours and it was fork tender. Crazy stuff that fat in the meat!!
Lead by example

GaryandKari

My 2.5 pd brisket was done in in 4 hours, took if off at 197 degrees.  One end was a tad dry, but not all areas had the fat cap on it.  Most of it was fantastic.  We marinaded it in red wine vinegar and brown sugar and spices first, then used Cabellas bourbon spice rup on it.

Gizmo

If you get a brisket that is a little too lean or has an area without a fat cap, take some of the fat from your trimmig and lard the lean area.  The fat pieces will melt down and flavor and help moisturize the lean area.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

GaryandKari

The brisket didn't have anything to trim, I was thinking maybe using bacon on the area with no fat cap....good idea?

aha638

I buy my briskets flats at Cosco and they will sell them to you untrimed if you ask.

Al

Smoking Duck

Quote from: GaryandKari on April 13, 2008, 06:57:23 PM
The brisket didn't have anything to trim, I was thinking maybe using bacon on the area with no fat cap....good idea?

Bacon on anything......good idea  :D

I do use bacon on a rack above the meat if it is a piece with very little fat on it.  I suppose you could place the bacon directly on the meat.  I've never done it that way but should work.  Maybe someone here will know better than I.  But, remember this....Bacon........good.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Ontrack

Love bacon, too. I've used bacon over brisket, bacon over pork loins and tenderloins, bacon over any kind of pork (except for ribs), bacon over chicken, etc. I've always just laid the bacon directly on top of the meat and have great results so far.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Ontrack on April 20, 2008, 05:31:37 PM
Love bacon, too. I've used bacon over brisket, bacon over pork loins and tenderloins, bacon over any kind of pork (except for ribs), bacon over chicken, etc. I've always just laid the bacon directly on top of the meat and have great results so far.

There ya have it....if you can't trust a railroad guy.....who can ya trust?  ;) :D ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Ontrack

Quote from: Smoking Duck on April 20, 2008, 06:03:48 PM
There ya have it....if you can't trust a railroad guy.....who can ya trust?  ;) :D ;D

Uh, a politician? I wouldn't lie to ya, duck. I try to save all of my lies until I really need 'um! ;D