• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to the forums - pulled pork questions

Started by Clayboy, March 23, 2008, 10:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayboy

Hey Y'all, greetings from Edmonton, up here in western Canada!

I'm doing my 5th pulled pork tomorrow night (all others have turned out fantastic!) and just curious about some finer details.

I did the rub last night and pulled it out tonight and just put a 2nd layer of rub on it. Has anybody tried this before? results? is it a noticable improvement?

Also, this may sound silly, but when you wrap it in plastic wrap before putting it in the fridge, will doing a really tight wrap be any better as opposed to simply doing a loose wrap? (possibly forcing the rub to penetrate deeper into the meat?)

Read some awesome posts so far, appreciate everybody who share ideas/recipes/pics/etc.

Happy Smoking!

Clay

Gizmo

Yes on the second rub.  It will add more bark and flavor.  Can't help you with the plastic wrap.  I always put my stuff in a 2.5 gallon zip top bag (if it will fit).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Hi Clayboy ;
Welcome to the forum.

Wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap does not help the flavors penetrate deeper. What it does do is keep the moisture in close contact with the surface of the meat; which is important if you are using a rub with salt.

When you use a rub with salt, the salt will first draw the moisture out of the meat and to the surface. After several hours this reverses and the salt begins to draw the moisture, with other flavorings, back into the meat. If you just place the meat in a plastic bag the moisture has a tendency to just pool to the bottom of the bag, and most of it is not reabsorbed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Great explanation Habs!  ;)

Your vast cooking knowledge/explanations never cease to amaze me!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

DrunkenMick

With a re-rub would you redo another mustard slather then add more rub? 

Clayboy

I didn't. There was enough moisture on the existing rub to get a decent 2nd coat on.

I don't think I'll bother with the 2nd coat from now on, I tried it once but it didn't make a huge difference in the end result. Same goes for mopping...I've never done it and my pork always turns out moist and uber-tasty..never dry.