• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

brining ham

Started by Piker, April 30, 2008, 09:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

I am wondering if you can brine pork that has been thawed out? I read somewhere that freezing changes cell structure and the meat does not accept the brine readily. Has anyone had experience with this?

iceman

Quote from: Piker on April 30, 2008, 09:46:35 AM
I am wondering if you can brine pork that has been thawed out? I read somewhere that freezing changes cell structure and the meat does not accept the brine readily. Has anyone had experience with this?

I thaw out pork loin all the time and cut it into chops and brine them. They've always turned out just fine for me.
They retained the moisture and flavor of the brine.

FLBentRider

I've frozen pork loins then cured them for back bacon - works great.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Piker

Thanks a lot for the info. I buy picnic shoulders and loins usually in bulk and when they are on sale so most of it gets used in venison or pork sausage. So I will try brining pork loin and smoking it and see what happens.

La Quinta

I have a really stupid question...but we all know that's pretty typical for me...back bacon? What is that? I'm doing some belly bacon now...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: La Quinta on April 30, 2008, 05:15:38 PM
I have a really stupid question...but we all know that's pretty typical for me...back bacon? What is that? I'm doing some belly bacon now...

LQ

Canadian bacon= back bacon

Back bacon is traditionally prepared from brined, center cut boneless pork loin. It is much leaner than American/streaky bacon. It is sometimes called Irish bacon or Canadian bacon.

We love ya LQ  :o

nepas

La Quinta

Thanks NePa...I thought so...but...I gotta try it...thawing a pork loin now in the fridge...love eggs benedict!! :)

KyNola

LQ,
You are so gonna love you some canadian bacon.  Habs recipe is great.  Thanks for asking the question about back bacon so I didn't have to.  Now that you asked the question and since you are going to make you some, Baby's got back!  I am so sorry, extremely rude but I simply couldn't resist.  No offense intended.

KyNola 

La Quinta

Geezzz...Ky...none takin'...hubby loves it too...so...never made it...always bought it...kinda cool to have the ability to make this stuff huh? I have belly bacon in the smoker now...my husband is standing outside sniffing the smoke!! Gotta love guys...he is so jazzed about this!! Used MalladWhacker's recipe...(sorry if I misspelt that Mallard)! 

FLBentRider

Does that make belly bacon = Front Bacon ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!