• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brining/Smoking Small Chicken

Started by DrunkenMick, May 31, 2008, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkenMick

I picked up a small fresh chicken at the store today.  About 4-5 pounds.  I saw at Olds http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35 and plan on using that brine. 

My question is it says 210 for four hours (i'll use ET-73 to monitor thigh temp/cabinet) but should i apply smoke the whole time? 

Lastly since its a whole bird with skin on should i drape it with some bacon to add some yum yums?  ;)

Thanks!

-J

FLBentRider

You can use 4 hours of smoke - or less if you want. Chicken takes smoke readily, so four hours will be a very smoky chicken - but that is how I like it.

You could start with 2, then taste it and add / subtract more smoke for the next bird. I put 4 hours on a Turkey - it was delicious.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Shouldn't need any bacon to keep it moist if you injected it at all.  I've done them without injecting or brining and they've been real moist with no bacon.  But, here's the thing:  bacon is to me what mesquite is to westtexassmoker, so I say use all the bacon you want.  You can never go wrong with bacon and I include that statement for desserts as well.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

One caution with doing the bird completely in the smoker. The skin will most likely become rubbery and uneatable. I smoke mine for 1-2 hours then finish it off on the grill at a high temp to make sure the skin crisps up. I agree with the Duck.... one can never go wrong with bacon!  ;D