• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

wannabe smoker questions

Started by snowmon, July 09, 2008, 02:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowmon

I have few different questions.  I've been reading posts in the form in regards digital or standard.  From what i have read both are great for smoking.  I'm sure it has been discussed but I have found it, as to what the digital smoker will do that the standard won't.  I'm still not sure which way to go for me. I also would like to know how long different foods keep after smoking.  It's only the wife and I with our son who will probably be gone in a year. We do entertain every now and then.  Just trying to figure out whether to go with 4 or 6 rack.  It would be nice to fill up a 6 rack smoker to help cut the cost of the flavor pucks down, but that cost savings wouldn't be worth it if I'm throwing meat out. Can you refreeze food that has been smoked or preserve it another way?

Habanero Smoker

Smoke food can easily be frozen, and most of us have a vacuum sealer. I have one of the FoodSaver vacuum sealer. So vacuum sealing I have frozen food for over a year, with no problems (except for an occasional bad seal in a bag). For foods in the refrigerator, I found that smoke foods will last at least 7 days longer then nonsmoked.

I can't help you with the comparison between the original and digital, my only experience is with the original.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Quote from: snowmon on July 09, 2008, 02:15:32 PM
I have few different questions.  I've been reading posts in the form in regards digital or standard.  From what i have read both are great for smoking.  I'm sure it has been discussed but I have found it, as to what the digital smoker will do that the standard won't.  I'm still not sure which way to go for me. I also would like to know how long different foods keep after smoking.  It's only the wife and I with our son who will probably be gone in a year. We do entertain every now and then.  Just trying to figure out whether to go with 4 or 6 rack.  It would be nice to fill up a 6 rack smoker to help cut the cost of the flavor pucks down, but that cost savings wouldn't be worth it if I'm throwing meat out. Can you refreeze food that has been smoked or preserve it another way?

The digital smoker has a digital temperature control. The Original (non-digital) has a slide control. After a few smokes, you get the hang of where the slider should be. The temperature in the digital still "swings" (varies from 10 degrees over or under your set temp)

More precise control can be had via an additional PID temperature controller. This will keep the set temp within 2 degrees or so.

Having said that, for most smoking recipes, you don't _need_ that tight of temperature control, unless you are doing sausage, in particular.

(I have an Original, and nobody complains about my lack of precise temperature control while they are enjoying my pulled pork, Canadian and belly bacon, smoked Almonds, etc....)

Personally, I would opt for the 6 rack, but I have a large family.

Smoking does have some preservative effect, but most here, smoke more than they need, vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers.

You can freeze food that has been smoked or otherwise cooked.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Buck36

I have an original Bradley Smoker and am extremely pleased with it. Getting a vacuum sealer when you get the smoker is key. The leftovers can be stored in meal sized portions and then frozen. The food is as good if not better when it is reheated because the flavors meld and the smoke distributes through the meat. We have a steamer pot that we throw the frozen vac bags in and steam. Tastes fantastic and is a quick meal. The best part is you can buy meat when it is on sale, smoke, and then freeze until you want to use it.

iceman

Quote from: Buck36 on July 09, 2008, 02:31:22 PM
I have an original Bradley Smoker and am extremely pleased with it. Getting a vacuum sealer when you get the smoker is key. The leftovers can be stored in meal sized portions and then frozen. The food is as good if not better when it is reheated because the flavors meld and the smoke distributes through the meat. We have a steamer pot that we throw the frozen vac bags in and steam. Tastes fantastic and is a quick meal. The best part is you can buy meat when it is on sale, smoke, and then freeze until you want to use it.

Ditto that Buck! Even better the second time around on a lot of of smoked foods.

Smokin Soon

Based on my browsing this forum, I purchased my Foodsaver at the same time as my Bradley, and I'm very glad I did. Here, It's just the wife and myself and I tend to cook way too much food! Things like Canadian Bacon, ribs, pulled pork are often more delicious after the fact. I Vac seal everything into smaller portions, usually with a dash of Iceman's sauce! Grab for lunch or a quick givaway to impress your friends. There are a lot of people that just wont eat leftovers. They just have never had Bradley leftovers.

After your first Pork Butt that yielded way to much meat, Vac a couple for a friend or two and they will be begging for more!

HCT

I have the SS box and am pleased with it. It's only me here so I freeze portions of everything I smoke, pulled pork, brisket, ribs, smoked salmon, bacon etc, everything. I also have the FoodSaver which is a god-send. Enjoy whichever box you purchase, you won't be disappointed.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

snowmon

I just ordered the 6 rack not sure when I will get it.  Hopefully it won't be to long.  Looking forward to learning how to smoke.  I've always been big on barbecuing but I have never smoked before. Can't wait!!!!!! ;D