• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Something is eating my tomatoes

Started by HCT, July 30, 2008, 02:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Moles, voles, rats, mice, bunnies,????????? >:( >:( >:( I have no idea but they are eating my heirlooms. They aren't touching my plum toms or beefsteaks, just the damn heirlooms. I had 2 that I was eyeing for rippening and when I finally got to picking it was half eaten. This sucker weighed 2lbs if it weighed an ounce. Now it's on the compost pile. I picked up some repellent today and am going to spread it after this post. Any others ideas to stop these damn critters.  ???I'm just waiting for the deer to mosy on over, then at least I'll be able to stuff my freezer. ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Buck36

That is how the racoons are with the sweet corn. They wait until it is just about ripe and then clean out the stalks.

......I do like your deer plan

Habanero Smoker

In my area it is usually chipmunks and woodchucks that mainly will eat ripen tomatoes. You can try the repellents, but sometimes they don't work once the animal get a taste of the vegetable and likes it. Mix Tabasco sauce, with water in spray bottle and add a drop of dish detergent, that usually works well. Also if it is a woodchuck or chipmunk, they are very skiddish. Try suspending aluminum pie or cake pans from some poles. The movement and the sun reflecting from the pans should be enough to keep them away.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Buck36

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 31, 2008, 02:32:48 AM
..if it is a woodchuck or chipmunk, they are very skiddish. Try suspending aluminum pie or cake pans from some poles. The movement and the sun reflecting from the pans should be enough to keep them away.

Woodchucks are severely allergic to lead as well.

westexasmoker

I've yet to get a single tomato this year, plenty of blooms but no tomaters yet  >:(  Suppose it may be the heat and humidity we've been getting, peppers are a rockin though  ;D  In town my mother has problems with squirrels snaging hers, and I think shes tried every trick in the book to keep them out!  The best suggestion I gave her was a BB gun!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

Just had a couple ripe maters on my plants and something ate them also.  ???

Oh wait...... I know what it was....... ME!  ;D
And they were great, I love this time of year when the fresh veggies are coming on.

If you got a groundhog, better feed him some lead ASAP. Once they start feeding they won't stop till they catch one between the eyes.  :D
And this is coming from someone who lives very close to Punxsutawney, PA. Home of the weather forcasting groundhog. I think its a bunch of crap myself but a lot of people show up from around the world every year on groundhog day.  ???

HCT

I got one of the little buggers today, he caught me at the wrong time, wrong frame of mind, now he/she is somebody elses dinner. Stinking mole. A lot of the toms that are ground level are eaten, but the good thing is that they come back and finish the one that they started. Hm, is that a good thing. I put some repellent down last night and watered it in today. Time will tell if this stuff works.
probably the biggest"

pensrock

Hmmmm I only thought moles ate worms and grubs? Guess I learned something today. Thanks for the info.
pens

NePaSmoKer

ya know this might sound weird  :o but if you pee around your garden some of the critters will leave. 

nepas

Wildcat

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 31, 2008, 11:19:31 AM
I've yet to get a single tomato this year, plenty of blooms but no tomaters yet

C

This happened to me a few years back when there were no bees.  They needed to be pollinated.  WalMart used to sell a spray that would pollinate and allow them to bear fruit. It worked.  Bees made a come back in this area and I have had no problems since.  Lack of proper nutrient could be a problem as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

Quote from: Wildcat on July 31, 2008, 04:50:23 PM
Quote from: westexasmoker on July 31, 2008, 11:19:31 AM
I've yet to get a single tomato this year, plenty of blooms but no tomaters yet

C

This happened to me a few years back when there were no bees.  They needed to be pollinated.  WalMart used to sell a spray that would pollinate and allow them to bear fruit. It worked.  Bees made a come back in this area and I have had no problems since.  Lack of proper nutrient could be a problem as well.
Those are open pollinating tomatos. If no bees then try a hybird tomato as they will pollinate themselves. Or you can go out and once per day and gently shake each branch.

The item that is spoken of from Walmart is more than likely Blossom Set: http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8325&bhcd2=1217548785

Another option is to plant wildflowers in and around your garden. This will bring in solitary wasps / bees which should help in pollinate the plants.  Plus they eat / lay eggs on the bad guys--like the dreaded tomato horn worm.

Also high heat will not allow your tomatos to set. If heat is a problem then try the Heat Wave Tomato from Burpee seed company. It has been recorded to set fruit up to 117 F.  There are other types of heat resistain tomatos as well.
Do note that Heat Wave tomatos are determinate, so plant several 3 weeks apart to get you through your growing season. 
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

HCT

QuoteHmmmm I only thought moles ate worms and grubs

Would you believe voles? :D
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Liquidfence makes some good mole/vole repellant

liquidfence.com

nepas

HCT

probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: HCT on August 01, 2008, 05:18:03 AM
Thanks NePas.

No prob HCT

I have used many of their products and they work real good.

nepas