• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork belly-hard to find

Started by HCT, July 17, 2008, 05:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

I finally ran out of belly and called my source to place an order, usually pay $1.99lb.. She said she would call back. 2 days later I called her again. Tells me she had my 4 sides but they're gone and she would give me a call when more are available. WTF???? What am I wood???
I called Habs source and they're on vacation. WTF????
Called another place and they wanted $4.99lb. WTF???????????????????????????
signed,
Desperate in Ct. for pork belly.
:'( :P :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

FLBentRider

I just ordered 2 from my local grocery chain, Publix, $1.69/lb .

It is a Smithfield product, any chain grocer _should_ be able to order it for you... but _will_ they ?

You might try explaining what you are going to do with it and offer a little "palm grease" in the form of homemade bacon.

To quote my grocer - "Don't be shy about sharing"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

HCT,

Where in CT?   Antonelli's in Waterbury generally has it frozen but if you call they will hold some aside when their order comes in (or so I'm told,  need to call them myself).  I'm not sure how often they get it in and I can't remember the price --- it definately wasn't 4.99lb though.

I smoked my first batch last Sunday and it was awesome (and that was one of the frozen pieces).  I need to start some more.

Deb

Habanero Smoker

Yeah! I keep forgetting that the place I get my bacon closes down this time of year. I tried to order some last Monday. It's a family owned business, and the family always goes on vacation this time of year, but I believe they have to do other things also; they raise and slaughter their own stock. When they sell bacon to individuals they are doing it as a favor, they mainly like to sell meat no less then the 1/4. They mainly deal with local restaurants, and grocery stores. Unless it is their ground meat and sausage; which they sell by the pound.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Deb, you from Waterbury? We have a customer in Watertown and I have spent a lot of time in that area over the last 10-15 years. I normally stay at one of the hotels near the St. Mary's hospital. I do not travel for work much anymore but when they call they usually ask for me.
pens

I need to check with our local butcher myself to see if I can get pork belly and at what price. I've made habs bacon several times but really want/need to try regular bacon. And soon!  ;D

HCT

Deb,
   Thanks for the tip on Antonelli's, I completely forgot about them, I'll have to give them a call. I haven't been in that store for over a good 10 years, just before I moved up north. I was gonna try Watertown Meat but I don't know with the new owners and all. Price would prolly be high anyway.
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Pens, 

A few minutes from Waterbury. We have only been here for a few years.   In the winter (when the leaves are gone) I can see the lights on the east side of the city (I'm up on one of the hills).  But I'm not telling you where  ;D -- my husband has asked a couple times if "that guy" still wants to steal our Hab's canadian bacon (oops,  I mean test)   ;D  ;D        You should try some regular bacon - I smoked my first batch on Sunday and it was awesome.  Used maple sugar, morton tender quick & a little maple syrup to make a paste (Hab's excellent suggestion in another thread).  Made sourdough english muffins on Monday and had breakfast for dinner Monday night.  My son had a monster bacon, egg & cheese sandwich on the homemade english muffin. 

HCT, 

Watertown Meat - I haven't paid attention to the prices but they do have ads in the paper quite often.  Someday I'll take a run over and see what they have.   

I have only been to Antonelli's a few times.  They might have ox tails there also.  There is quite the assortment of meat pieces & parts -- stuff I have never seen anywhere else --   one of the young kids didn't know what pork belly was and tried to sell me some pork stomach. 

Pricewise probably Antonellis would be better.  I think I paid 1.89 or 1.99/lb for the little frozen piece that I bought.  I guess they cut it up and freeze it when they get it in.  I talked with one of the butchers (possibly the owner) and he said to call if I ever wanted fresh.  I think he said that the cases were about 35 lbs (but would save me whatever amount that I want) - they might do a good price if a whole case was purchased since they wouldn't have to package it up.   

Deb

deb415611

HCT,

Here is a link to Antonelli's website  -- has phone number etc    http://www.antonellis.com/    You can even buy a whole pig or lamb !! 

Their website says they are a "no frills "meat and potatoes" family owned, mostly meat market"     Yup,  I can see that.     

Deb

HCT

Thanks deb,
   They must be doing alright since now they have a website. I'm going to call them to order a case of belly. I'm still waiting on a call from Mrs. Nodine from Nodines Smokehouse, if the old lady doesn't call today that's it, I'll call Antonellies. I'm sure the price will be right. I have one 4lb. piece curing in the fridge now and I hate starting up the box for a small amount but I need bacon and I need it now. :D :D :D
probably the biggest"

car54

If you have any Mexican grocery stores in your area you might want to try them. They usually have unique types and cuts of meat.

Brad

Smokin Soon

I have many Hispanic Meat Markets here, could some one tell me how to say:

"I would like a pork belly"
"I would like a boneless pork butt" [Boston Butt]

There is a market here that is great for chicken and pork, chicken thighs marinaded ready for a wrap, but the english is limited here.

Gizmo

These are from a translation and hopefully someone with some conversational talent will be along to give you the real lingo.

pork belly is "vientre de cerdo"

pork butt is "carne de cerdo culata"

but it may be better to use boneless pork shoulder "carne de cerdo deshuesada hombro"

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Thanks Giz, that's a good start! I'll give it a go.

West Coast Kansan

Part of the Southern CA, survival guide.  Good Idea, will try MX Groc.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)