Pizza Fattie

Started by manderso, July 21, 2008, 01:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manderso

Hello All,

Thought I would try my luck with a pizza fattie over the weekend.  It turned out AWESOME!!!  Here's what I did.  I started with a 2 lb. Jimmy Dean Pork sausage I got from BJ's.  I put it into a gallon sized zip-lock bag and rolled it out flat (~3/8").  I then cut the bag along the seams and pulled back the top side.  A thin layer of tomato sauce, followed by mozzarella and cheddar cheese, a generous portion of pepperoni, and garlic sauteed mushrooms.  Be sure to leave space along the edges so that the fattie can be sealed tight and not lose any precious ingrediants to the bottom of the smoker.  Then using the plastic bag's back side, I rolled the sucker up making sure to seal the edges good.  A quick sprinkle of my favorite pork rub and then wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap, twisting the ends tight and creating the log-like shape.  I thought about dressing it in bacon as well, but I didn't.  Maybe next time.  I put it in the freezer for 15 minutes while the smoker warmed up.  I programmed the PID for 210 degrees (I bought the ready made one from Aubins, great decision!) and loaded up 6 Maple pucks.  The freezer helps with the handling of the fattie when upwrapping it and putting it on the rack.  Inserted my temp probe and fired it into the smoker.  About 3 hours later, it hit an IT of 160 degrees and I pulled it out.  I FTC'd it just because I needed to keep it warm for another 2 hours, but I'm sure it wasn't necessary.  It was AWESOME!!!  My neighbors smelled the smoke and insisted on a taste.  Considering they showed up with their coolers full, I couldn't say no ;)  It didn't last long.  I'll be making this again without a doubt!  My Bradley just keeps pumping out great eats!  I would highly recommend putting the pizza fattie on your to-do list!

manderso

Oops, I meant Auberins (Auber Instruments)

iceman

Awesome recipe manderso! I'll add that to the must do list when I get back in town. Thanks for sharing with us.

La Quinta

Hey manderso...I made a similar one once before....it was awesome!! But I took it out (of the smoker) a little early...schmused it out a little...wrapped it in pizza dough...forked the edges...egg wash...baked it (in the oven) until the dough was cooked...and viola...a fatty calzone!!! Kinda!! Served it with a marinara dipping sauce! It was good...and easy! :)

KyNola

That sounds awesome!  Consider that recipe on my to do list.  Thanks for posting it!

KyNola

Mawgie

Kudos to you for having the smarts to buy a pre-manufactured PID.  While you win friends and influence people, I am in the weeds, getting spanked!!

(I'll be getting out though, one of these days.....)

-Newbie Mawgie

Buck36

Manderso,

The pizza fattie sounds awesome. A true Atkins pizza. This is definitely on the must try list.

NePaSmoKer

Them fatties are just plain good  ;D

yer pizza fattie sounds real yummy  ;D

nepas

Oldman

manderso,

The next time you make one of these take a pictures of it during the process and the end product.  E-mail them to  r   a    y   e    @   r    m   i   n   o  r     .   c   o   m  (no spaces.) and I will post them for you.

Make sure to note in the title that you are from the Bradley boards or I might just skip over it.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!