How do you know if its fully cured?

Started by Toker, August 12, 2008, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi guys im doing bacon right now its in his cure since sunday morning but never made some before so pls can someone could tell me how do i know when it will be fully cured? I know the time it should take but how do you reconise a fully cured piece of meat ( with your eyses) thx

KyNola

Toker,
Help us out.  Belly bacon or Canadian bacon?  What type of cure are you using?  For me it is not so much eyes as it is the feel.  Either way, belly or Canadian if it has been in since Sunday, it's not cured.  The bacon will get firmer as it cures.  Belly bacon minimum takes 7 days, Canadian bacon maybe a day or two less.

Don't rush it.  The real bacon experts will be along to give you much more advice.

KyNola

Toker

its canadian bacon with habs basic cure. hope it helped

Habanero Smoker

If you are using the loin 6 days should be enough, if you are using the tenderloin 5 days should be enough. As KyNola stated the meat should be uniformly firm. If there are any soft spots in the meat after the curing period, you can let it cure for 1 to 2 days more.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Among other things Habs IS the canadian bacon expert!

KyNola

FLBentRider

I defer to Habs on all things curing.

In addition, most of us are curing for flavor, not preservation, so noone is going to get sick if it is not fully cured.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Toker