• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Got my belly

Started by HCT, July 25, 2008, 07:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Finally picked up my pork belly, skin on, 47lbs. :o :o :P, meaty and thick. I figured I had to get the case with the price at $1.59lb., 60 miles round trip and the cheapest I can get it up here is at $4.99lb. and Nodine's smokehouse just never got back to me. Yeah it is alot of belly but I'll smoke most of 2 sides now after I cure it and freeze 2 for down the road. Yup, alot of BLT's but who's complaining. I'm going to try my hand at some lardo and try again with pancetta. The last time I did pancetta it got moldy towards the end of curing but try, try again.  Also want to make Hab's smoked pork belly, I've been looking forward to that for a while now.
So I'm in pork fat heaven, Emeril eat your heart out. :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

FLBentRider

Dude!

That's alot of Belly!

Was it all one piece ? if so, what are the dimensions ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

QuoteEmeril eat your heart out.  :D :D :D
Amen!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Wow! Lots of bacon.

Fresh belly is so good, it a whole different experience. It's not greasy, and the fat just melts in your mouth. A few days ago I came across this article. This should give you a few more ideas on cooking fresh belly.

Pork belly is simply divine

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: HCT on July 25, 2008, 07:33:58 AM
Finally picked up my pork belly, skin on, 47lbs. :o :o :P, meaty and thick. I figured I had to get the case with the price at $1.59lb., 60 miles round trip and the cheapest I can get it up here is at $4.99lb. and Nodine's smokehouse just never got back to me. Yeah it is alot of belly but I'll smoke most of 2 sides now after I cure it and freeze 2 for down the road. Yup, alot of BLT's but who's complaining. I'm going to try my hand at some lardo and try again with pancetta. The last time I did pancetta it got moldy towards the end of curing but try, try again.  Also want to make Hab's smoked pork belly, I've been looking forward to that for a while now.
So I'm in pork fat heaven, Emeril eat your heart out. :D :D :D

Wow, that is alot of belly -- I'm sure he told me the cases were 35lbs.   

I'm off to Antonelli's right now to figure out what I am doing this weekend.  Hopefully they have some pork belly since I never got around to calling this week.

Deb

HCT

Habs, thanks for the site. The recipes look good and will be prepping them tomorrow.

Deb, I hope I didn't wipe him out on you. I also tried to get a decent price for pig ears, I want to home smoke them for my boys, no such luck. $1.99lb. Cheaper for me to buy them already smoked.

FLB, it's 4 sides. Damn, that would be one big hog if it was one. :D
probably the biggest"

deb415611

HCT,

The sign said that they close at 5:30 and I got there at 5:20.  It was crazy!  They didn't have any fresh in the case but I grabbed a couple lbs out of the freezer -- It was $2.49lb.   I guess maybe I should buy a case if I can get it for 1.59 --- I can give all kinds of bacon away and still be ahead.

Got a couple pork butts too.

Deb

HCT

Deb, If you need any belly let me know, I'll gladly share some with you. I thought of this late last night, should have offered you earlier.
probably the biggest"

deb415611

HCT,  thanks so much for the offer.  I'm think I'm ok for right now.  Next time you need some let me know and maybe we can split a case.  I'm only about 15 minutes away so I can grab it anytime and usually have room in the extra fridge to store for a few days.  I almost asked you if you wanted to split a case of pork butts - they had cases on sale but I decided it wasn't that great a deal since the ones in the case were only .20/lb more. 

Ming is on PBS and I just heard the words "pork belly" - got to go watch tv.

Deb

deb415611

Quote from: deb415611 on July 26, 2008, 11:35:26 AM

Ming is on PBS and I just heard the words "pork belly" - got to go watch tv.

Deb

Missed most of it but it was braised pork belly with apple, onion , maple syrup & I think some kind of thai pepper.  Off to see if I can find a recipe.

Got it :  http://ming.com/simplyming/recipes/Season5/524_PorkBellyClayPot.html

pensrock

Deb,

I'm still waiting to test out that canadian bacon for you, but since you are going to do pork belly also I can wait and test them both.  ;) ;D ;D

It's great that you and HCT live fairly close to each other and can split cases of meat to work out a better deal. Great idea.

deb415611

Pens,  I'll let you know when I have both in the house at the same time   ;D

HCT

Deb, I don't know if you have a Price-Rite near you but there is one in Torrington that I go to every couple of weeks. If I hit it right the have pork butt for .89 sometimes .49, bone in. Ribs if I catch them right $1.49. I'll give you a hollar when I see something that is priced right. Let me know what else you look for because they have some cuts that you can't find in the big supermarkets.
probably the biggest"

deb415611

I haven't heard of Price-Rite but I'll ask my husband (he's in the grocery business & will know).  There is a shop-rite in Waterbury but it is always incredibly crazy & the few times I have been in it hasn't looked very clean.   They are moving to a bigger store soon (Price Chopper closed & Shop-rite bought the building) so maybe it will be different.   I usually shop at Costco, BJs and Stop & Shop.

I buy chicken at Costco because it's packaged for the freezer.  Other cuts I buy are flank, tenderloin (beef & pork) Antonelli's has the butt end of the beef tenderloin for 5.99lb often , pork loin.

Let me know what you buy &  I'll let you know if Antonellis has any great deals.

Oldman

Quotehaven't heard of Price-Rite but I'll ask my husband
Ah shucks... and here we thought you were a single wild smokin' gal~~!  ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!