• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My Bradley puked

Started by gillgetter, September 10, 2008, 06:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillgetter

Took a bunch of salmon out of the brine and set them out to air dry, went out and plugged in the Bradley and the light for the heating element doesn't go on, looked inside and the element doesn't go on, check plugs, nada... luckly the feeder works so I will be trying to smoke the salmon with just the heat from the puck plate, looks like I'm geting about 100 degrees cabnet temp so we'll see how it goes..
It picked a fine time to puke! >:(    Anyone have a idea how much a heating element is?

Gizmo

Check the fuses and the plugs between the smoke gen and the tower.  I don't have the original so I don't know the specifics of your connections.  Unplug and replug them all several times just to make sure you don't have a bad contact.  This happens from time to time which is why it is important to do the checks even though things look right.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Sorry to here about your smoker Gillgetter.

Here is a link to Yard & Pools site. Bryan is a member of the forum here. The element is $11.99
http://www.yardandpool.com/home.php?cat=117

I don't have an OBS but I wonder if the light on the control comes on even if the element is burned out?
Like I said, I don't know but it would be good to trouble shoot it before you order parts for it. Hopefully someone with an OBS will comment on this. It could also be the heat control slider circuit board.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Gill,
Just a quick thought.  Was your slide control all the way to the right hand side?  If so, you may have a dead spot.  Several have reported that the slider all the way to the right is dead.  Try backing it off just a bit to the left.

Good luck,
KyNola

pensrock

I do not have an OBS but if you can plug the tower directly into an outlet try that and see if it works. That would rule out any problems coming from the generator. I do not know if the OBS has a high limit sensor like the DBS, if so it could be bad also. Also like KyNola stated try moving your slide back and forth in case there is a dead spot.

If all else fails, do the smoking using the smoke generator then finish in your oven.

good luck,
pens

beefmann

Giz and  Gill...

if it was a fuze issue the smoke generator wouldent  work...try a diagnoses first take the  main power  cord and plug it directly into the tower and move the slider controll while watching the light and heating element... if neither still work.. unplug the tower and remove the back silver  cover  on the BS and bypass the over heat control that is on the back  of the BS food compartment..

then plug in and try  moving the  slider again .. if the light and heater works then you  have a bad protection device and then contact yard and pool  or bradley for a new one

Beef

Gizmo

Thanks Beef,
Wasn't sure if the OBS had 1 or two fuses with the box heater being on it own fuse.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

One other thought to consider.  If moisture got to the slider, it could prevent it from working.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

gillgetter

Thanks for your help everyone. I just got home but will look into it as suggested. I did try plugging the heating element directly in, no luck, try numerous times checking the plug connections no luck, try sliding the temp control many times, no luck
It was late at night so I went ahead and put salmon in and ran smoke in it for 7 hours straight, fish never really darkend like I had hoped it would, took out and put in fridge, went to work. cabnet temp only hit 100 deg the whole time.. question: would the salmon be ok? I was thinking it would of been like a cold smoke tech. and since smoke ran the whole time i thought it woud be ok. if its still ok, what should I do? it just doesn't look like smoked fish the way it is.should I throw it oven?

Habanero Smoker

There is one other thing you may want to check. If your smoker is new, check to make sure the element is properly seated, and that the screws in the porcelain connectors are snug. Don't over tighten or you may crack them.

If you brined them, they should be alright. You can finish in the oven if you want. What temperature to cook at I would defer to those who do a lot of salmon. It will be difficult to keep the temperature of most ovens below 200°F.

Since you already applied the smoke, do you have a small hot plate that will fit in the smoker. You can detach the generator, run the cord through the generator opening on the side of the cabinet, and then cover the opening with aluminum foil. I won't put the fish in until after I was able to adjust the hot plate to maintain the proper temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

gill,

if you plug  the tower driectly  into the  wall there  is only  4 items it could be ...

1) the  heater
2) the  slide controll infront of the bradley ( either all the way to the left or just bad )
3) small thermocouple on the inside back wall of the bradley a disk looking  item about the size  of a  dime and 1/4 inch high

4 )  a loose or bad  connection,

I do think something  went out...  just not  sure what if you have a electrical  friend you  may  him  check out the  unit for you and see if he finds the problem...Ihave heard problems in all areas listed above

good  luck
Beefmann