• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

canning tuna this weekend

Started by tsquared, September 25, 2008, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

2 of my buddies are coming over this weekend and we're going to can 6 tunas using 3 big pressure canners on propane stoves, all done outside. I found out the hard way canning tuna is not a job to be done indoors as it creates an awful stink and you have oil dripping down your walls from the steam. Outside is good though, and I think I might have to brine a couple of loins and whip a cold smoke on them.  :P   Accompanying liquid refreshment will have to be served.
T2

La Quinta

Holy Cow T2...how the hell do you can tuna? Would love to know...

tsquared

Hey LQ--You defrost your fish to the point where they are easy to slice, cut out 4 quadrants of meat called "loins" (they resemble the shape of pork loins) and put them in your jars, leaving a 1/2" of head room. I use the little wide mouth jars that are good for a couple of sandwiches or enough to put on a spinach salad. Add 1/4 tsp salt, finger tighten the rings and pressure cook at 10 or 15 lbs pressure for 90 minutes and you are done. A word of caution tho--once you try home canned tuna, it spoils you forever and you will no longer be able to stomach the catfood they call canned tuna at your local grocery store.
T2

La Quinta

So...T2...I have a pressure cooker...but would have no earthly idea what 10-15 lbs of pressure would be...do you have a more sophisticated model? I just get the sucker up to pressure...normally on a low (as I only have a low and high setting). When the little nubbie pops up...then I regulate the heat...

MWS

Hey Tom,

Where did you get the tuna and more importantly.......what liquid refreshments will you be serving  :P.

On that note....did you go to the Great Canadian Beer Festival out in your neck of the woods?  I missed it this year  :'(.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

tsquared

LQ--I don't know your cooker but I would read the guide that came with it to see at what pressure your little nubbie sticks out. (Oh the boys are going to have fun with that one) On my cooker, I have 2 weights that fit onto the steam vent, if you use one you get 10 lbs, both gets you 15. Once the weights are rocking steadily (but not furiously) you begin your 90 minute time for the cook. The cooker that I am borrowing is more sophisticated and has a pressure gauge which is more straight forward.
MWS- My buddy's boy went out tuna fishing this summer as a deckhand and his skipper told us we could get as many fish as we wanted for a good price. As for the liquid refreshment--someone gave me some Phillips IPA as a gift this week so it's already in the beer fridge. I didn't get to the beer festival this year but maybe next year. How are things up at Harrison?

T2

Gizmo

I have done tuna as well.  Same scenario as you tsquared with the short wide mouth jars and pressure cooker.  You can also add garlic, jalapenos, or other such flavor enhancers to the jar as well for a little surprise to the eater.   :o
We used water for water packed although I do remember a very small amount of oil was added as well.  Did all of mine in the house with out a problem as the range hood took care of any vapors. 
My old neighbor purchased an acutal canning system after doing the jars for a few years.  The cans were a pretty slick operation as well and looked professional.  He use to go out deep sea fishing 12 times a year and kept us both well stocked as well as his Sushi guy and a few other neighbors.   :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MWS

Tom,

Sounds like you'll have every cat in the neighbourhood coming around once you start your pressure cooking  :D.

I just picked up some Phillips myself today and also some Howe Sound 'Devils Elbow IPA' which I think is some of the best bottled IPA in BC.

Quote from: tsquared on September 25, 2008, 08:41:14 PM
--someone gave me some Phillips IPA as a gift this week so it's already in the beer fridge. I didn't get to the beer festival this year but maybe next year. How are things up at Harrison?

Things are good in Harrison. The summer tourists have gone and life's a little quieter around the Lake. Cheers and have a good weekend.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"