• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking For A Living

Started by owrstrich, December 18, 2004, 11:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

i have a friend whos parents have been operating an apple dumpling trailer from march/april to september/october for the last 9 or 10 years...

they set their own schedules... buy their supplies on the road at places like sams and costco... haul it around to fairs and festivals... stay in a rv or hotel... prepare and sell the stuff... and net 6 figures every year after its all said and done...

that is 2 people keeping combined 6 figures afer expenses and taxes in 8 months... the other 4 months of the year they are setting up the next years schedules and vacationing... mostly vacationing...

so... i was pondering a smoker tailer using bradleys... fully self contained so i could smoke while open and also daily from closing to opening without having to worry much about theft or vandalism... i see it requiring little maintenance and supervision when compared to other food vendor operations...

i can see a rack of 10 bs low and a rack of 10 bs high along the side wall... a ftc concept along the back wall... refrigetation along the front wall... sales along the other side wall...

sell bottled water and bottled soft drinks... prepared potato salad... cole slaw... baked beans... and of course smoked beef and pork...

no screwing around with drink fountains... deep fryers... grills... or high maintenance stuff... just keeping it simple...

what are the pro and cons... i need your ideas...

thanks...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Chez Bubba

Iggy,

I can't say I haven't had identical thoughts. There's a guy at our county fair (The Elkhart County Fair is bigger than a lot of state fairs.) that sells sirloin tips. The line is always the longest of any and they are damn-fine tastin'. I'd guess he grosses about a half-million during the week-long event.

My biggest question is how much crap do you have to go through to get licensed in every venue you attend?

For me right now, it's not the right time in life. Maybe in 10, I'll decide that's what I want to do.

If you decide to take the plunge, we definately want to supply the smokers & bisquettes![:D]

Of course the down-side for us is, you'd show us up at Camp-N-Brew.[:(][:D][8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Me too!  Want to get a shiny Prevost Motorhome conversion, load up my BS, an additional knock-down pit and hit the road.  Stop along the way, smoke up some jerky, sell it a BBQ events along the way.  Would be looking for a little house with a big driveway that would allow me to build a covered garage for a bus in a states that doesn't have State Income Tax.  Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming have no State Sales Tax, and funny thing, my daugter's family is in Florida.

Things to consider...heath permits.   May not even apply in states you travel to, but I doubt BS is NSF approved. I would rather do this as a cash business if you know what I mean.  In California, permits are free to veterans pusuant to Business and Professions Code, but unclear what local requirements exist elsewhere.

Looking to do something fun are you?  I would talk to your friend's parents to see the kinds of things/hurdles you will face on the road.  Hell, maybe you could become a BS dealer??  Chez Mobile Owstrich?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

owrstrich

bubba... you know i travel 100% of the time right now so taking the risk at this kinda deal is purely financial for me...  nothing to lose but cabbage...

anyway... before doing what im doing now i thought about buying their apple dumpling rig and taking over their business...

it was hi maintenance... that is why is passed on it... im basically lazy but can be very aggressive when im into it... i think i would be into the smoker concept...

they belonged to an association who provided data on where, when, hours, fees, permits, inspections, attendenance, kick backs and so on... some places were space fees with power and water provided... some places were space fees with power and water metered... some places were space fees with a cut of sales...

setting up the gigs didnt seem to be a big thrash from my conversations with them... the association did the preliminary so you they just filed the papers and paid the fees...

they did said the biggest issue was being staffed from open to close everyday of every event and not trusting temp workers... when their daughter started helping out it was more pleasuerable for them...

im seriously thinking about going for it in perhaps 06... who knows... maybe my week old white castle puck smoked bologna will be the biggest seller...

as for crap n spew... you are secure...

more later...

owrstrich

owrstrich

nsx... next time im in skankramento we sould talk... shiny prevost... i was thinking 63 dodge pu with an old truck camper... thats what the jerkey man should have...

im gonna go panning for gold in the stanislaus river next time im up your way...

more later...

owrstrich

Oldman

Ya the great ideas of fun.

The problem is going to be the local health departments. After smokin' something you will have to hold it at 170 degress or 40. The codes will kill ya.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

Years ago, when I was still in Napa, and prior to opening up a couple of florist shops, I sold roses on the side of the road for about 2 years.   2-1/2 hrs a day...about $30K net per year per location...Paying cash for the flower selling for cash.  The Sheriff's Deputies were some of my best customers, but there was one that was an ass.  He cited us, and I went in a fought it and won. Embarassed the hell out of him too, as his boss was the Capt of the patrol division, and he stopped by twice a week to pick up roses.  The consistency of being out there and selling a good product are paramount.  You just have to sell quality and provide excellent service.

I sold out of a 69 Ford Truck with a cab over utility body when I was on the road.  Under the hood was a '73 Detroit 453 Naturally aspirated Diesel/5 spd New Process with 2-speed rear-end.  It didn't look like much, but it was a runner.  It was all the customers ever saw.  I bought a new Corvette every 2 years, but didn't drive to work.[8D][8D] Incognito was good.

If I do the road gig, we will be towing a Subaru Outback Wagon.  I would park close, but run back and forth to the rig in the Subaru.  Not putting on the Ritz at the booth is probably a good idea.  I don't want to make the kind of money you are aspiring to.  I just want to travel comfortably, make a little fuel money, write-off the bus, see the country, and meet new people and have fun!  Like a house, interest you pay on note is tax deductable and if used in business, a write-off.  You have to travel in something!

I like the BS, but used commercially would tax it's capability too much in my mind.  Check out the Caldera at http://www.thebbqguru.com.  Sweet smoker, and it knocks down flat to stow.  200lb capacity inside would smoke a lot of meat.

Check this out...even has convection capability, and will work with my Procom4!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

Single unit:

If that one is not big enough get the twin dude:

Or if you wanted stainless steel job:

Now if these units are out of your price range then there is this stove top unit for just $38.98:

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I have had a similar thought, but mine was to run a roadside stand. As you mentioned, there is a potential problem with theft and vandalism; if you can't tow your stand to and from the spot on a daily basis.

Health food laws are different from state to state, but that association sounds like it would help you with that. In New York, if you cook something from start to finish at the site, you must cook the food to it's proper temperatures, and then have to maintain the finished product above 140 degrees F. If you are reheating previously cooked foods, you must reheat to 165 degrees F for at least 15 seconds, and then maintain the food above 140 degrees F. The 165 degrees F is important, because it is at this temperature that all food borne bacteria is "instantly" killed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Ah.....the advantages of just doing jerky with sealed packaging now become so much more attractive.  You smoke it, seal it up and sell at the temperature of the world... Priced to be affordable to the working man and at most events, most everyone comes hungry, and can afford $4-$5 for a package of jerkey.  Complicated packaging supplies include scissors to cut the strips, a small scale to weigh it, and creating packaging to encourage purchases.

Much more attractive and far more simple to me.

Bill

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

hey bill, ever heard of a work camper? that is what the wife and i are doing in about 3 years or less, i have 2 boys left at home one is a senor in high school and the other is a junior, when they are gone so are we , hit the road and live full time in our rv, be  a camp host any where, work a few hours a week for a FHU, full hook up site , you can also split the hours with the wife ,you can do it for a month or how ever long you want, work more then a few hours a week they will pay you cash, i belong to a site  for $30 a year , they will email you the jobs evrey day, and they are a ton of the all over the usa, here is a link, http://www.workamper.com want more info email me, Rob

nsxbill

I have the same capability within the practice of nursing.  I am a retired Army Nurse, and retired from State too, but still can work and keep my license current.  I work for Kaiser, an HMO in California giving medical advice part-time by phone.  On the road, I could go to pretty much any area, hook into a per diem gig for $500 a shift because the California Nursing license has reciprocity pretty much everywhere.  Frankly, I just want something that allows me to write-off the motor home, and travel a little. If I work once in awhile, there is a mandate to keep my license current through Continuing Education Credits obtained from accredited schools or providers.   Hence, I do a couple of cruises a year, but always ones that offer Continuing Education onboard ship...tax write-off...someone has to do it! [:D]  example is this websitehttp://www.continuingeducation.net

I hate to pay taxes!  Any write-offs welcomed-they screwed my right up the you know where so often when I was in business!  If I travel to sites that allow me to smoke food and sell jerky...again an opportunity to hose Uncle Sam, that would be good for me.   Don't want to work too hard...hell, I'm retired!

Bill