• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Save your bisquette crumbs!

Started by got smoke?, September 04, 2008, 05:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

got smoke?

I save all my bisquttes crumbs from my opened packages.  I experimented with an aluminum 4 oz. tomato juice can by cutting it down to about 1 inch tall and flattening the concave bottom with a hammer.  Fill the can with crumbs and place it on the bisquette burner.  The crumbs burn down to ash just like the bisquettes.  My next attempt will be with a copper 2 or 2-1/2 inch pipe cap.  Does anyone know if the heated copper will impart any strange oders or unwanted flavors before I try this?  Buying smoker saw dust should also work great with this.

(P.S. - Any Coppenhagen chewers might want to try your metal lids for this  ;D )

Tenpoint5

I'm not condemning your idea but IMHO Times are tight but they aint that tight for ME to even think of saving the crumbs and burning them. But that might be a good idea for the starter load. Since that bisquette doesn't burn as well as the rest.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

Got Smoke

I currently use 2 inch copper pipe caps to advance the bisquetts off the smoke generator.. they  work quite well. and yes they have to be cut down..  then washed to remove any  chemicals that might be on them dont  forget to file off any  sharp edges on them

you can also use the left  over rings of  copper as a puck advancer like the bubba pucks..

the heat  doesent seem to be much of a  problem though it will discolor the copper along  with the smoke.. after each use check the copper  ends for  any build up and  remove it.. i  did  have an occerence where the copper  pucks did stick from not  being clean.

if you  are planning to smoke useing  several of them.. you  may  want to consider buying 4 to 6 of them and  cut at 1/2 thick and use the remaining copper as a hollowed out bubba puck on the other smoking  pucks

beefmann

got smoke?

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 04, 2008, 06:32:12 AM
I'm not condemning your idea but IMHO Times are tight but they aint that tight for ME to even think of saving the crumbs and burning them. But that might be a good idea for the starter load. Since that bisquette doesn't burn as well as the rest.

Depending how often you use your smoker, after several boxes of bisquettes the crumbs sure do add up.  Just trying new things as I go and tossing the ideas around for whatever they may be worth.  I did notice that some folks are paying upward of $25 per box of 48!  OUCH!

pensrock

I save all my crumbs as well but to be used in the little cold smoker that I made.

Gizmo

I also save the crumbs and use them wrapped in a foil pouch on the grill.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Quote from: got smoke? on September 04, 2008, 09:05:23 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 04, 2008, 06:32:12 AM

Depending how often you use your smoker, after several boxes of bisquettes the crumbs sure do add up.  Just trying new things as I go and tossing the ideas around for whatever they may be worth.  I did notice that some folks are paying upward of $25 per box of 48!  OUCH!

I use mine all the time. I really want to EMPHASIZE I am not and will not CONDEMN anyones Idea's. I do agree $25 a box sounds painfull
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

Man and I thought I was bad...I save the crumbs and my spent bisquettes and use them when I'm grilling!  You know what they say 'a bucks, a buck'!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Quote from: westexasmoker on September 04, 2008, 10:00:28 AM
Man and I thought I was bad...I save the crumbs and my spent bisquettes and use them when I'm grilling!  You know what they say 'a bucks, a buck'!

C

I would disagree with you there WTS.  A 10.5 buck is much better than a 2 point buck.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Giz, you've got a good point!  ;D  :D  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

PAsmoker

I can't believe I've never thought about saving the darn crumbs. >:(
The Original PAsmoker

FLBentRider

Sometimes I put a pile of crumbs on the bisquette burner at the beginning of the smoke and let the first puck push it into the bowl after it burns for 20 minutes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

Gee I guess I'm to old for this ideas... I will just add another puck.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Wildcat

Quote from: Oldman on November 17, 2008, 01:16:51 PM
Gee I guess I'm to old for this ideas... I will just add another puck.

Besides being ALMOST as old, I am too lazy to go thru the trouble.  :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/