• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Horseradish Powder

Started by Oldman, October 08, 2008, 10:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Horseradish Powder..can I say more?
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

LilSmoker

Great stuff Olds!, i had some last year it was Chinese if remember right?

Might be a nice ingredient for a beef rub, even pastrami maybe?

Personaly the hotter the better i say  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

You can kick it up another knock by using wasabi powder. ;)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Oldman on October 08, 2008, 10:36:43 AM
Horseradish Powder..can I say more?
Olds

Makes a heck of a dip mix. I use it with garlic and onion powder mixed with sour cream and cream cheese and a splash of lemon juice. Great with veggies or on a roast beef sammy!

La Quinta

Oh yum...that sounds awesome Ice...  :)

manxman

QuoteMight be a nice ingredient for a beef rub,

OOOOOH YES! Have used it on rib roast a couple of times.  :) ;)

Manxman

MRH

After reading this thread, you guys got me thinking.  Real scary huh? :o  Anyway I went and dug some horseradish, dried it and ground it into powder. Now to give it a try some day. Seems like it should work fine here is a couple pics:

Dried pices

Powdered up

Mark

beefmann

wonderfull job  mark... now to make dome  horseeaddish sauce for  prime rib....  yummmy

Gizmo

Wonder how it stacks up to Atomic horseradish?  After using Atomic, none really measure up to my expectations.  ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

bflosmoke

If I recall horseradish loses alot of its bight when heated. I wonder if the lower temps of smoking would allow it to keep its potentcy?

MRH

bflosmoke I think you are right!  I got brave tonight and took about 2/3tsp and added some warm water to it.  Did the sniff test.... It got me!!! Not as strong as if you did the fresh grind stuff though.  I put it in with a couple tablespoons of mayo, it was ok.  I think the heat from the dehydrater might have weakened it, so I will have to use more then I thought  I would.

Mark

HCT

MRH
What temp did you dehydrate at? I was thinking of doing the same but setting the dehydrator at lowest temp, 95, for a few days.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

MRH

HCT,

I have no idea what the dehydrator I have runs for temp.  No controls on it you just plug it in and turn it on.  It does seem to blow pretty warm air though.  I should measure it sometime to see what it does run.

Mark

HCT

Thanks MRH, I'll do it at 95d when I pick up some fresh h.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"