• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question---The Bradley Smoker and cold weather

Started by Tommy_Bee, October 25, 2008, 07:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy_Bee

I got my Bradley this past May. I've been storing it in a outdoor shed. Now that the weather is getting colder should I keep it indoors? Does anyone know if winter cold damages the smoker?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

beefmann

I keep mine outside year round, Also in so calif though it is on a shelving  unit and covered to be pretected from the elements,

depending on where you  live and winter elements  either  cover it and if you  have  room in the  garage ,,, move it in the  garage

Beef

Tiny Tim

I'm in Iowa, and my smoker resides in a "Vertical Tool Shed" made by Suncast.  Not heated or anything.  I usually don't smoke when it's under 20*, mainly because I don't feel like putting a bunch of clothes on to go check on the progress, load the food, or bring the food in.

westexasmoker

Thats a good question TB, I have mine inside my well house and plan on using it through the winter, now granted in my neck of the woods we don't have to many days below freezing but I would think as long as its protected from moisture you'll be OK.  I'll let some of our northern friends give a more definitive answer!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Depending on your weather in the winter you may want to take the generator indoors. You can leave the tower outside providing it's covered. The generator has moving parts and firing it up in real cold temps would put added stress on it in my opinion. Some people have a plastic storage tub with a lid devoted to storing the generator in so that it keeps the smoke smell to a minimum. Just take the puck tube off to make it a little more compact. I'm in Canada and we frequently have -20 to -40 temps and wind in the winter so I have build mine into my heated garage but that's another storey.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Mine sits in my garage on top of a mobile tool chest just for the smoker. So I can wheel it out when I need it. I haven't had any problems as of yet, but like mentioned above I try not to start it if the temp is too cold.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I have the OBS for over 4 years, and it remains on my deck 24/7 with just a cover, and never had a problem due to cold weather. I live in upstate NY. The past 4 winters have been more mild them most, but we still get a few sub zero days, and the average overnight low in the dead of winter averages in the single digits.

If you keep your generator outdoors like I do, one thing I've learned let the cabinet heat up first for awhile before turning on the generator. This will warm the generator, and reduce any strain that cold parts can place on the mechanism.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)