• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ground Venison Jerky

Started by doubled, November 12, 2008, 05:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubled

Would someone please help me. I have the DBS 6 rack. No where can I find what temp or time that I am to smoke-cook ground venison jerky. The receipes that are given with the DBS are for beef, chicken, pork...  Any input or experiences would be appreciated.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum doubled

I do alot of jerky, strip and ground.

I make like this.

Open the vent on your BS to full open. Have water pan to catch burnt pucks but NO water in the pan.
I use 4 to 6 wood pucks with heat from 150 to 170* Watch the jerky so it does not burn. The ground venison should be able to bend and not snap.

Here is the last batch of ground i did. Venison is the same method as beef. Being the venison is so lean i had to grind some beef fat into it.

Alot of forum members use Hi Mountain for their jerky. I dont, I make my own this way i can control the amount of cure (if any) I dont use much cure unless the temp is going to be lower than 140*

You will need some sort of screen for your BS racks so the ground jerky does not fall through.

Hope this helps some

nepas

josbocc

Doubled,

Welcome to the forum.  Lot's of great advice here, make sure to visit frequently.

NePa has you pointed in the right direction.  I've only used my DBS6 once for jerky, and that was just to introduce a "smoked" flavor before transferring to my dehydrator.  I have to agree with NePa, mixing a bit of beef helps in preventing overdrying, which will result in a more "crumbly" texture.  Personally, I prefer a 50/50 mix of ground venison and 90% lean ground beef.  I dehydrate at 160 degrees for about 9.5 hours with a completely full dehyrdrator (about 12 lbs of ground meat).  You're gonna need to experiment with your times in the DBS, as there is no fan to circulate the air.  You'll also want to check to see if you need to rotate the trays from top to bottom and vice-versa in order to get even drying.

Hi-Mtn spices are the way to go unless you want to mix your own.  I just got an order delivered from them today.  Bought four different flavors in bulk form.  I believe each bulk order is enough to season 350 lbs. of ground meat.  Yeah, I make a lot of jerky ;D ;D ;D  They're also running a special right now where they are throwing in some stainless steel drying screens for free if you make a decent sized purchase.  They won't fit the DBS, but I've found them great for holding stuff under a brine solution, like for smoked-salmon.

Good luck with your jerky, let us know how it turns out, and keep coming back to the site.  You'll love it here.

Jeff

The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!