Big and Easy not sure about it now

Started by Oldman, November 10, 2008, 02:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I brimed a 7 pound chick.
I smoked 1 hour 40 mins with apple.  Place in the B&E and within 5 minutes I've got blackin' skin. Interesting. In fact the  skin on one of the wing has shrunk so much it looks like it was pulled off....

We will see what the end result are. I wonder if I should turn down the unit.
Goes into smoker:

1 hour 40 mins later out of smoker:

After 10 mins in the Big & Easy... burt skin:

I will edit as the chicken comes out.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Mr Walleye

Holy crap Olds! It looks like that thing is running on the "nuclear" setting!  :o

That sucker is burnt pretty good for only being in 10 minutes. I would turn it down if ya can.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

Wow Olds - it does look like it's running hot.  I haven't had anything get that black.  Some of my spices have burnt but not the skin itself. 

Deb

Oldman

Crap,
I did not realize it but I hit raw on my camera and I don't have raw software loaded. So I cannot show ya the end results. I will say that all skin was black and not worth eating.

I will say this that I took a cold yard bird out of the refrig put in a semi cold smoker that only got to 185F the last 20 mins or so. Put it in the B&E and one hour later it was done....remember this was a 7 pound bird. I got to say that is  very fast cookin' in my world.

The B&E negated the brine. Now the bird was moist, but I think the next time I will just leave a yard bird in the smoker.

The knob on the B&E has on / off only but I can cut it back. Tomarrow I'm going to do a beef roast in the B&E.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Smokin Soon

I cant imagane why it burn so fast, unless a lot of sugar in the brine. Cooking without the lid will slow down thing also. I have done 4 chickens and plenty of leg quarters without seeing that. I use a brown sugar brine on turkey legs with no problems at all. Could it have had too much drying time after the brine?

Oldman

QuoteCould it have had too much drying time after the brine?
May... I dried it for 6 hours.

I used Smokehouse Rob recipe and added the zest of one orange to it. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21

It calls for 3/4 cup of white sugar and 1/4 light brown.  What gets me is we all know that a cold 7 pound bird in a semi cold smoker that at 1 hour and 40 mins. later it is still cold on the inside and it only took the B&E 1 hour to completely cook the bird... man that is fast.

If I do another bird I think I will pump the bird under the skin, and via the cavity the day before, and not "brine" it. BTW that brine of Smokehouse Rob with the zest of one orange is a killer... you got to try it.

I picked up a small rumb roast 3.5 pounds and I bet the B&E cooks it in 20 minutes.

Smokin Soon

I will give Smokehouse Rob a try. Currently I either just use seasoning or  inject with one of the Cajun Injectors. Cajun Butter is a good one. You might try some wings or leg quarters just to make sure the regulator
on the cooker is ok. Smoked wings finished in the Big Easy are great!

beefmann

Oldman,

you may want to get a adjustable presure regulator and place it on the propane tank  and the hose to the B&E.

this way you can regulate the presure inturn it will adjust the flame and less or more heat.

the regulator that you  would need  would be at a welding  supply.

I was told years ago that propane in a liquid state is at 175 psi. with a left hand thread.. and considering that we are dealing  with vapor most any gas  ( non oxygen ) regulator would work that is over 175 psi

thats my 2 cents

Habanero Smoker

This can also occur if you leave the top on too long. On warm/mild days the top should only be used for browning or if the food is not cooking fast enough. Once the food reaches the color you desire then the top should be removed.

Also try the center the food in the basket, and center the basket in the Big Easy as evenly as possible. It looks like the burnt wing was closer to the wall.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)