• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Jerkey

Started by tturaider, November 05, 2008, 08:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Hello all its been a long time sime ive had time to use my smoker or even get on this site.  I hope all is well with everyone.

I was thinking of making some beef jerkey but dont want it to be the ground beef kind so ive got a couple of questions for you pros.

1. what is the best cut of meat?
2. what is the best seasonings? (spelling?)
3. what temp and how long?
4. what type of wood?

Ive got jerkey trays and am ready to go just have to pick yalls brains on how to get it all going.

Also how bout them RED RAIDERS!!!!!!
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

sherlock

I always use eye round with High Mountain "Original" seasoning. I generally smoke them with oak using six to eight pucks at 210 degrees and then keep it it at 210 for another three or four hours. If it is still not "dry" enough, I throw it in a dehydrator as long as needed.

Good luck. I have used other High Mountain jerky flavors but I like the original best.

Nathan

tturaider

Thanks Nathan. Should I let the seasons marinate for a period of time or does that matter with jerkey?

kevin

Tiny Tim

The directions say to let it cure for 24 hours (if using whole muscle instead of ground), but I've let it go nearly a week with no problems.

tturaider

Thx TT I was thinking that the mix might dry it out if let a long time but in retrospect I guess that is what im looking for.

kevin

sherlock

That mix makes the best jerky I ever ate.

Yes I cure it in the fridge for 24 hours. I have pulled it at 20 and also at 36 hours, it makes no difference that I can see.

Nathan

josbocc

TTU,

I'm a big fan of Hi-Mtn seasonings.  The "Inferno Blend" is my personal favorite, but they've got at least ten different flavors for every taste.

I have exclusively used ground beef with the "Jerky Cannon" over the past three years, and prefer the dehydrator for drying.  I did put some in my DBS6 to add some smoke flavor a couple of months ago, but finished in the dehydrator.

If you're using sliced muscle meat, you've got to let it marinate for a minimum of 24 hours.  The seasonings won't get into the meat if you don't.  If you go with ground meat..., you can shoot it out of the jerky gun shortly after, but it's still better if you let it sit for at least a day.

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

bflosmoke

I also use eye round It has very little fat and smokes wonderfully. I prefer hi-mountain but for me its hickory blend with hickory brickets for 2 1/2 hrs at 200-210 degrees and about 3 hrs without smoke. I like to cut it thick at 3/8 " thick. It turns out great.
BFLO

tturaider

ok ive just finished putting 1.5lb of eye of round mar. with high mountain mesquite and 1.5lb of eye of round mar. with high mountain pepper/garlic.  I go to the station tomm nite and got the game sat so ill smoke it sun and be sure to let yall know how it goes.

thanks
kevin

flipperz71

I have started using london broils, as suggested in this forum a few moons ago, and the jerky comes out great.  Here is a simple recipe for about 1.5 lb of meat.

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worstershire sauce
4 tsp alum (makes it jerky) optional
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of season salt
2 tsp black pepper ( i use course)
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder

Mix well and marinade meat overnight.  Pat mean dry and then smoke to you liking.

flipperz71

I have started using london broils, as suggested in this forum a few moons ago, and the jerky comes out great.  Here is a simple recipe for about 1.5 lb of meat.

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worstershire sauce
4 tsp alum (makes it jerky) optional
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of season salt
2 tsp black pepper ( i use course)
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder