• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Extension cords

Started by bflosmoke, December 17, 2008, 07:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflosmoke

Hi Folks
My lifes kind of in a tizzy right now so I havent been on much lately.  I am currently looking for a new abode due to persenal reasons and am having problems finding smoking friendly apartments. One was over a resteraunt so they didnt want me smoking and others dont have power in a convienient place. My question is do extension cords really mess up the operation of my OBS or will it be alright to use one. Also would a appliance extension cord help?
Thanks
BFLO

Tiny Tim

I use a 25 foot outdoor extension cord all the time with mine...never noticed any problems.

Mr Walleye

I think as long as you use one that is rated for it and one that is as short as possible. It's always better not to use one at all but a guy has to do what a guy has to do!  ;)

I have used an extention cord for a window airconditioner before with no problems. Most airconditioner extention cords have a pretty good rating on them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

I'm currently using a fifteen foot extention, no problems here.

bflosmoke

JNB

As long as you're using a proper extension (not those wimpy grocery store pieces of junk) that's rated as well as the house wiring--meaning at least 14-gauge, three-prong grounded--and designed for outdoor use, you are absolutely fine.  A true contractor-grade cord will be perfectly fine.  Never use any cord that's "zip" or lamp cord.  Remember, the Romex in the house itself is essentially an extension from the breaker panel, which is an extension from the street, and so on.

La Quinta

JNB...what is the ROMEX? I'm thinking that is an abbreviation for something but I don't know what? Feel like I should?

Gizmo

Standard house type wiring that has a plastic sheeth wrapping the 2 or more coated conductors plus ground. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Every state Giz?...never heard it referred that way...in Florida or California...

Gizmo

Don't know about other states but definatly in Cali.
You may know it as NM.  ROMEX is the brand name of the plastic I mentioned in the previous thread.

I would suspect that every residential house built in the last 30 years have Romex installed.  The other type is BX or armor as in flex aluminum or steel with the wires feed into it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

Romex is the most common in PA also.

FLBentRider

I've got Romex in my Florida home.

I use a 25 foot Heavy duty extention cord for my OBS.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Quote from: JNB on December 18, 2008, 07:28:32 PM
As long as you're using a proper extension (not those wimpy grocery store pieces of junk) that's rated as well as the house wiring--meaning at least 14-gauge, three-prong grounded--and designed for outdoor use, you are absolutely fine.  A true contractor-grade cord will be perfectly fine.  Never use any cord that's "zip" or lamp cord.  Remember, the Romex in the house itself is essentially an extension from the breaker panel, which is an extension from the street, and so on.
Yep, unless that extension run gets real long, and the current is high, then the voltage loss to resistance in the wire could lower the heat being produced by the heating element or mess up the electronic gizmos.  This is not likely to happen unless you are using a really thin wire for an extension cord.  That is why the wire would get hot - the resistance within the wire.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

dick621

You also want to pay attention to the receptacles and plugs.  check for any heat buildup there.  A loose connection or fitting can cause resistance which creates heat.  I had a service call to an apartment yesterday where an elderly lady had a infrared heater plugged into a receptacle that got fairly warm.  One of the neutral wires was loose on the receptacle. 
also most lights and outlets in living room and dining room were on same 15 amp circuit.  Replaced old recept. with stab in connections with new screw connections and all is well.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

La Quinta

Interesting...I have always been a wee bit concerned to use an extesion cord for the Bradly...or frankly any other electric smoker I have had...the loss of power with the length of the cord has historically been a concern...thanks for clearing that up for me!!