New OBS and thanks to Iceman (and others)

Started by BareBones, December 28, 2008, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BareBones

Hello everyone!

Brand new to the forums and new owner of an OBS which my wife bought me for Xmas. The past few days I have been reading the forums looking for recipes and other ideas because I plan on using the OBS a lot.

So far I've ordered 3 Bubbapucks and a plug-n-play PID. I've decided to not mess around. (Looking into the fan mod as well)

I seasoned the OBS on Friday and my first attempt at smoking was today. I bought some pork ribs and prepared the rub recommended by Iceman. I removed the membrane and rubbed the ribs down last night. This morning I put Iceman's technique (most of it anyway) to the test. I smoked the ribs @220 for about 3.5 hours spritzing with an apple juice solution every 30 minutes after the first 1.5hrs. I used the Special Blend pucks for the smoke. It was very windy today so when they were done smoking I moved them inside. I boated them with some apple juice, covered the boat with foil and put them in the oven @220 for another 3 hours. As soon as they were done I wrapped them in foil, a towel, and put them in the cooler for 1+hrs.

I can't begin to tell you how darn good those ribs were! I am very sorry that I didn't take any pics. Needless to say I wouldn't have been as successful without all the help I found here on the forums. This is a great community! Keep it up!

BC

Mr Walleye

Congrats on the first smoke BareBones and welcome to the forum!

Many more to come!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum BareBones!

Congrats on the first smoke.

Be sure to ask plenty of questions. There are lots of knowledgable people here happy to help!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your great first smoke. I know how rewarding it must be to see your plan come together. There are plenty of friendly folks here who just love to share. I know you will fit right in.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

BareBones,
Gotta love the name.  Bare rib bones right?  Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you're off to a great start.  You can't go wrong listening to the Iceman.  You need to hook up with Ice for some of his sauce to go on those ribs.  OMG is that good stuff.  PM the Iceman, he will set you up with some sauce.

KyNola 

BareBones

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  ;D

Yes KyNola, bare bones was all we had left so I figure it was a justified name... the ribs turned out perfect! I will send Iceman a PM about his sauce... I've read about it a million times on here already so it must be good!

Just bought a brisket and will be asking some questions in another thread.

Til then...

BB

pensrock

Congrats barebones. Iceman is wise..... listen to the Iceman. :) ;D

drano

BareBones,
The Auber PID is great.  I used my programable version the first 3 times last week.  (an early Christmas present to myself--I was good last year according to myself ;D),  Program it, turn it on, and let er run.  More time for your favorite beverage consumption and less time messing w/ the smoker. 
Yep, get the fan mod done too.  Don't wait 6 years like I did.  Surf thru all the various fan mods (search function will find plenty), decide how you want to do it, then get er done. 
get smokin
drano