• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thanks to the Forum for rib help

Started by canadiansmoker, January 12, 2009, 02:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadiansmoker

I just wanted to thank many of you on the forum on my first attempt at doing baby back ribs in my DBS. After reading many of the posts and the recipe listings I decided to take the plunge on the weekend. I tried a few racks of baby backs and used Iceman's rub. I had them on the smoke for just under 3 hours using a combination of maple and hickory at 210F. They turned out fantastic. I was amazed that after the first 3 hours the meat still did not appear to be pulling away from the bone. I used a toothpick to determine their tenderness and they weren't bad, but not nearly what I was hoping for, so I sprayed them again with apple juice, wrapped them in foil, and put them back in the smoker for another 3 hours. The difference was amazing as the ribs were literally falling off the bone. I can't stress enough how important it is to wrap them in foil so that they can continue getting tender. It was a night and day comparison.

I didn't try just wrapping them up in foil and doing the FTC method as I wasn't sure if they would come out tender enough without the continued heat. I may try that next time. I also might try using some type of barbecue sauce on them instead of apple juice to give them more flavour. I did finish them on the barbecue with a sauce for about 10 minutes before eating them!

2 notes I took away from this. The first was that even though I had 3 hours of smoke on the ribs, they still didn't have much of a smoky flavour, at least not nearly what I was anticipating. Perhaps I should try a stronger flavour (maybe mesquite!). The second was that while the ribs were in foil and continued cooking I also put some bacon wrapped chicken breasts stuffed with ham/cheese on the smoker to cook at the same time (what the heck, the smoker was on anyways). The chicken came out cooked, the bacon was cooked, but not nearly as well cooked as I would have liked (I finished them off in the oven to crisp them up). I think that next time if I cook the stuffed chicken breasts that they would require at least 250F to crisp up the bacon more.

Once again thanks to everyone for all the advice. This a great forum with loads of helpful advice from a bunch of great people.

Now I just need to find a good barbecue sauce to make up for the ribs for next time as the store bought stuff I used seemed a little too "bold" for my liking (I think the sauce I used would have been better with beef).

Mr Walleye

Congrats CS!  8)

I know when I do the chicken wraps I usually finish them in the oven for that very reason. I like the bacon a little on the crisp side. I  have a Big Easy as well and that might be an option to finish them in it as well. In fact if I remember correctly, I think someone on the forum already tried them that way as well.

As far as how strong the smoke flavor is, it's kinda a personal preference thing. But by all means give the mesquite a shot or try your next ones with 4 hours of hickory.

I like my ribs to fall of the bone as well so I always foil or boat them with a shot of AJ and throw them back in the smoker for 3 to 4 hours.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

josbocc

My North of the Border Smoking Friend,

Welcome to the forum.  While you may make a friend with West Texas Smoker by using Mesquite, I would suggest trying all of the varieties of pucks available.  After all, fair ribs are better than no ribs  ;D

I too smoked my ribs first, then slathered them with BBQ sauce before finishing with a flash on the grill.  Turned out awesome, and had everyone pleading with me to tell them when the next rib-fest would be.

Experiment..., have fun..., and please remember to share what works well.  If you're not certain, ask the folks here.  I'm relatively new to smoking, and to the forum, but I have yet to be led astray, and no one seems to have lost their patience.

Best of Luck, and Enjoy,

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

KyNola

CS,
We have a winner!!!!  Congrats on your ribs.  Sounds like you are definitely hopeless addicted to the Bradley.  If you will allow me one thing for your ribs with sauce in the Bradley.  If you like your ribs with sauce, last 30 minutes of the foil wrapped ribs, open the foil, paint the ribs with your favorite sauce and leave the foil open for the final 30 minutes.  The sauce will "set".  Your move to the grill obviously will do the same thing. 

Proud of you.  What's next?!

KyNola

FLBentRider

Congrats on the Ribs!

I finish my ribs in the oven. 3 hours smoke,  3+ hours in the oven, plus a little time under the broiler to set the sauce.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Hard to beat smoked ribs for good grub.  Typically I'd do ribs in a big smoker, over oak, or mesquite but more often over oak lump - unwrapped and being mopped occasionally.   I like to have a little bite to the tenderness rather than just falling apart.  That's the competition way.  However, with the lay back and relax way of the Bradley Great White Way 3 or 4 hours of smoking then additional time in foil with a combo of Dale's and worhis.... werches....worchesc....wa....whor....dagnabbit you know what I mean  - that fancy Lee and Per... Perr....Peare... (wait while I google).........................worcestershire sauce!   ;D  One to 4 hours depending on type of rib - fall off the bone good.  No sauce, well sometimes a vinegar/mustard mop, just the goodness of smoked meat.  Sublimely savory, finger-licking gustatory deliciousness!

Shakespeare.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

canadiansmoker

I am definitely hooked on this machine. I find it very easy to use adn so far everything has been really good. I'm not sure what to try next. A friend of mine has brined turkeys and chickens before and then cold smoked them. He gave me his recipe for his brine, so I may try that out next. He keeps his birds in a brine for a week (yup, a week), then he cold smokes them for almost a day, although he using a home built outhouse style smoker and the temp inside the smoker is only about 40-45F (obviously only does it in the winter months up here in the north). I have also had a hankering to try some back bacon as well, we go through quite a bit of it and am curious as to how it would taste compared to the stuff we buy now at Costco.

Thanks for the suggestions on trying to flavour up the ribs more. I've been trying to practice more on my own before I start inviting the relatives over.

p.s. I hate to say it, but I too love the flavour of mesquite (like someone else on this forum).