• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temp for smoked bacon wrapped chicken breasts

Started by canadiansmoker, January 09, 2009, 02:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadiansmoker

I am going to try doing some ribs this Sunday and I also wanted to try and do some smoked bacon wrapped chicken breasts with ham/cheese. I was planning on putting the chicken breasts in the smoker once I had the ribs wrapped in foil (after smoking). I was wondering what temp I should set the Bradley at to do the chicken breasts. I'm hoping it will be around the same temp as what I will continue cooking the ribs at. I checked the recipes website but all of the recipes say to cook the breasts by "sliding the temp control 3/4 of the way to the right". Obviously these instructions are for the OBS and not the DBS.

Any idea at what temp I should be cooking these breasts at?

p.s. using this smoker is getting addictive. I tried Kummock's smoked salmon last weekend and it was great!

Habanero Smoker

For chicken breast you can use any temperature from 200°F and up. So you can use the same cabinet temperature you use for ribs. Just don't cook them too long. I generally  will take chicken breast out of the smoker when it hits about 152°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

If you're going to be doing chicken, make sure vent is open adequately as they will hold a lot of moisture.  Moisture trapped in your smoker will knock the temp down and can condensate on your food as well as run out on the floor.

KyNola

canadiansmoker

Thanks for information everyone. I'll make sure I keep the vent opened up. It should be a fun weekend watching the smoker work with a beer in hand!

Habs, since the breasts are going to stuffed, can I still your internal temp guideline? If I did an IT check it would most likely be registering the temp of the ham/cheese stuffed in the middle. I was thinking maybe 2-2.5 hours around 200-210 while the ribs are in the foil.

Habanero Smoker

If you are making stuffed breast, use your time frame. Also you can use the prick test; prick it with a tooth pick and if the juices run clean you are good to go.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

canadiansmoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2009, 02:48:27 PM
If you are making stuffed breast, use your time frame. Also you can use the prick test; prick it with a tooth pick and if the juices run clean you are good to go.

Thanks for the update. Keep your fingers crossed!

KyNola

CanadianSmoker,
Remember, the liquid beverage constantly in hand while monitoring the smoker is actually a fire retardent system.  At least that's what I tell my wife.  You have to watch the smoker constantly in case it should burst into flames and you need to have something near by to douse the flames! :D :D :D :D

Just kidding of course, have fun!
KyNola

canadiansmoker

KyNola, I use that excuse all the time! Of course, 1 liquid beverage might not be enough to put out the flames though ::)