• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Considering OBS

Started by Simba Matatta, January 01, 2009, 06:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simba Matatta

Hi everyone! I have been considering buying a Bradley Smoker for sometime. I have previously used an old fridge and loved the chicken and salmon we smoked.
From reading posts I am thinking of the OBS and the MAverick. Does anyone have any experience withe the OBS in cold Canadian winters?
Thanks in advance!

Smoking Duck

Hello Simba and welcome to the Bradley community.  I can tell you that you won't regret a decision in buying the Bradley.  It is by far one of the easiest ways to smoke great food.  You should have no problems smoking in Canada.  Mr. Walleye and others here are from your neck of the woods and they put out some great looking grub.

Again, welcome!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

commonsense

Hi Simba,

I live in Minnesota and the temps here are in the teens and early twenties for a high.  Right now its 7 below.  I've been able to get

temps around 220 with my smoker on the cold days which is as high as I ever go anyway.  The only other issue would be if theres a lot

of wind, but so far I have had no problems.  I know you would be very happy with the smoker I know I am.

Commonsense

Simba Matatta

Thanks guys. I am planning on using the BS in a enclosed lean-to on my garage so wind will not be a factor. I think you have releaved me of my apprehension about the low temps.
Just ondering if I should consider the DSB - I have heard it is not as effective in temp control as most people think it would of been.

Thanks again for the info. PS - my wife just walked in and when I told her I was considering a BS she said "go for it" - so it loos like I'll be smokin very soon.

Smoking Duck

Simba, if it were me, I would go woth the Original Bradley and add a PID to it.  About the same cost as a DBS but you get much better temp control and another cool toy to play with.  Again, that's just my opinion and others may feel differently.  Either way you decide to go, check out the link below in my signature lines.  These guys will hook you up good.  Also, either way you go, your taste buds are in for a real treat!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Simba Matatta

Sorry guys but another question. I have seen that the DBS can smoke for 2 hrs then just cook for the remiaing time. Does the OBS have this ability? or do I really need this function?

Thanks again for the info.....
I have already called Cabelas and they have the OBS and the Maverick temp probe... :-*

Habanero Smoker

Hi Simba Matatta
Welcome to the forum.

With the OBS you just load the desired amount of bisquettes. Each bisquette equals 20 minutes of smoke. So for two hours of smoke you will need 6 bisquettes plus 2 additional bisquettes to get the sixth bisquette to the plate. But rather then use bisquettes most of us use Bubba Pucks; aluminum disc instead of the extras 2 bisquettes. Then it is wise to use an additional Bubba Puck or another bisquette on top to push the sixth bisquette of the burner.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Simba Matatta

Thanks Hab -
I think you convinced me!!!!

Up In Smoke

SD
i hear talk of the pid but i am not sure what it is.
when doing chicken rolls or venison tenderloin rolls i would like
to be able to shorten the temp swing.
where can i find the pid and or info on it?

thanks
                                               jerry
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Gizmo

Do you want to build one or purchase one that is plug and play?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Up In Smoke

i would like plug and play.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.