• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Carnitas and chili fixins

Started by stillsmoking, January 18, 2009, 09:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Got a nice 5 1/2 pound pork butt in the smoker destined for some Nepas inspired Carnitas.  Also threw in some chili fixins for the weekend batch.

Would have liked some jalapenos to add to this but nothing fresh in town, settled for half an orange bell pepper left over from last nights egg rolls.  Will add more hot stuff later.  Will post some pictures of the carnitas as they progress.

Gizmo

Very nice, are those 2 onions with rub on the right side corners?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

stillsmoking

Gizmo, those are indeed onions with some chili roast garlic Cholula seasoning on them.  Also used the seasoning liberally on the hamburger and pepper, sometimes I use Chipolte powder instead but the wife and kid don't like things seasoned in quite the measure I do.

All the fixins are in the pot with some hot garlic salsa, Rotel w/ garlic and lime, couple cans of pinquitos, a bunch of chili powder and some water.  Smelling good, thinking chili burgers for lunch.

Gizmo

Darn, now I need to go look for another sauce.... chili roast garlic Cholula.
We have the regular Cholula here but I have never seen the chili roast garlic.

stillsmoking

We have the regular Cholula spice, Chili Roast Garlic and Chili Lime.  I like the Chili Lime variety with poultry.

Gizmo

Are you talking a dry spice or liquid?  The Cholula we have here is liquid.

stillsmoking

Gizmo, although I like the liquid Cholula too what I am using here is dry spice.

Got a couple pics of Carnitas in the making

This is the butt after about 11 hours in the Bradley, tried to keep the temp around 200-220, cherry and hickory smoke the whole time, I know some folks don't like that much smoke but we sure do.  FTC'ed after this pic.

Butt mixed up with all the good stuff Nepas shared in his recipe, we added a clove of roasted, smoked garlic, used a large whole onion and went with Alaskan Amber.  Also we smoked the butt first then added to everything, other than that pretty much Nepas recipe.  Ready for three hours in the oven!

Will show more later as things get done.  If I am not mistaken the wife is making an omelet with yesterday's chili fixins.

HCT

ss, the last picture sent me over the top. Looks great!!!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

stillsmoking

The pork has been shredded, a little of the cooking liquid added back to it and back into the oven for another 20 minutes, will do this until the liquid evaporates a bit and some of the pork gets a little crispy.  Two or three times taking it back out adding liquid, stirring and then back in the oven for 20.

Have not decided what we will do with the finished product.  Probably add some beans and rice and have on a tortilla or maybe tacos.

Mr Walleye

StillSmoking

or.... deliver it to me at work!  ::)  :D  ;D

Do ya need my address?  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

stillsmoking

Address and gas money!  Got the truck warming up.

stillsmoking

Decided to add some rice, some beans, some cheese and a little tomato.  Good stuff, thanks again for the recipe Nepas!

stillsmoking

Forgot there is also some nice sauteed cabbage in there.