Canadian Bacon Question

Started by josbocc, January 12, 2009, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Hey Everybody,

I did up two pork loins of Canadian Bacon (Habanero Smoker Style) last week.  They have had their obligatory two days in the fridge (boy is that a loooong two days), and now it's time to package.  I just got my new Chef's Choice slicer in the mail today, so this is gonna be a bonus.

My question for the gurus of smoking is..., should you slice the CB before freezing (vacuum sealed of course), or freeze as 2-3 lb. loins, then slice after thawing? 

This wasn't a problem on my first attempt at CB as I only did one loin, and it went pretty quick.  Any input, or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

pensrock

I always slice,vac then freeze.

josbocc

Pens,

That's what I had figured, but I wanted a second, or third (or more importantly an informed) opinion.  Thanks for the assistance.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Brother Bill

we always slice & freeze in small vacuum pouches. Seems to work for us as we give some away as well.

BB

Habanero Smoker

Same here. I slice, vacuum pack, then freeze.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

josbocc

It would appear that I have a consensus.  Thanks to everyone.  The CB has been sliced, bout 1/8th of an inch, and vacuum sealed in 1 lb. bags.  Got 8 of 'em left.  The first 2 lbs never made it through the weekend.

I'm finally getting to where I think that I can upload pics.  Promise to try to have some following my next endeavour.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!