• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Problem Problem

Started by mheath, February 01, 2009, 12:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mheath

Hi

I have a turkey in my bradley for the Super Bowl Party, but I can't keep temp.  It is about 175 right now

It is about 26 Deg F out but it is windy.  I put up a make shift plywood shelter.

I might have a short in the system because I notice my light isn't working.  the Smoke generator is definatly working and if I tap on the light on the tower side it will flicker.

I tried unplugging and plugging it in several times.

Are the indicator lights problematic or is my tower heat gone?

Smoking Duck

Is your vent open up all the way?  If not, open it up all the way.  That could be the problem.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Mheath

I have a DBS so I'm not really sure on the indicator light. Is the heating element red hot? Also, poultry has a very hi moisture content, you want to run the vent fairly open (3/4 to full open) during the first few hours otherwise the moisture can hold the heat down.

Certainly what you can do if you are in a bind is once the bird has finished the smoke portion, move it into oven in the house to finish. There are a number of members that finish turkey this way after the smoke portion or in the Big Easy.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mheath

Vent was wide open and I already moved the turkey to the oven.

I left the chicken breasts in the smoker.

Any idea what temp I should set the oven to to finish it??

Mr Walleye

I would think an oven temp of around 350 should be good.

Mike

PS
You want to finish it to 165 degrees in the thigh. You may want to pull it from the oven a couple of degrees below that and tent with foil for a while. It will gain the couple of degrees. The skin will crisp up better in the oven anyway.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes