• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Door seal

Started by jd748, February 04, 2009, 04:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd748

I have been smoking in -30 or so weather and have had to have the vent closed or almost closed all the time, but i have been getting quite the build up of liquids that runs down the door and has been seperating the seal from the door. and dripping from the door.  I just couldn't keep the temp up with the vent open.
I have not had much time to look at it, and was wondering if you can just pull the seal away from the door to clean it or if it is permanently attached?? As soon as the bradley was cooled down the liquids turned pretty hard and crusty.

Smoking Duck

I know for a fact, that contrary to what you think, you're not going to be able to get the temp up with the vent closed.  Additionally, that fluid buildup is going to ruin your smoker if you continue to do it.  You might not think it'll get to temp with the vent open, but it will.  In those temps, it's just going to take a while to do it.

You might want to put some bricks in your smoker to act as a heat sink to keep your smoker temps in (especially when you open the door).  What type of temps are you seeing in your smoker and are you sure the heater in it is firing up?  Additioanlly, if you have the slide all the way to the right, the Bradley has kind of a dead spot on it.  Back it up just a little and that should help with the temp. 

I always wipe down the seal while the smoker is warm (after removing the food).  This will help keep the door seal from sticking.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

JD,

SD got ya covered, keep that vent open and wipe your seal down after each smoke!  I think the seal is attached with small screws under the flap....Oh come to think of it, I've got my brand new door sitting behind me in the office here, let me take a look!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

westexasmoker

Not positive, but looking at it the seal laps over the inner door cover and is secured with a bunch of screws....I bet Brian from bradley heaven will be along with the answer!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

jd748

Thanks guys... I do wipe the seal off after each smoke it was more that the seal was starting to push away from the door.  and i won't be smoking with the vent shut anymore (i figured it was bad, and i for sure don't want to wreck it!) I also am not going to attempt smoking at that temp anymore... the last time was the only chance that work allowed for.  (if the wife would let me smoke inside somewhere i sure would be happy)
Any way thanks for the answers and i will maybe take the door off and do a little clean.. will let you know how it went..

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi JD

Both SD & WT are correct in their answers.

The door seal has a lip that is sandwiched between the inner and outer metal skins and secured with screws.
You cannot just pull it away from the door.
I have never smoked in -30 temps (to cold for me brrrr :)) so i cannot tell you what you should be getting as far as temps go.

Brian

jd748

Brian,
  Thanks for the quick reply much appreciated...  i don't think that i will be smoking in -30 anymore anyways.
(to cold for me too)
Thanks again to all.

Smoking Duck

If you've got a garage, that wouldn't be a bad place to set it up in cold weather.  Where exactly are you located for that type of weather, anyways?

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

jd748

I am living in Chetwynd BC.  It's about four hours north of Prince George just on the edge of the rockies..  Really small town but the scenery is awesome.  the worst part about it is that the nearest good salmon fishing is about ten / twelve hours away....
and like this winter we have already seen a couple of weeks of -40...