• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Advice On Using Dry Rub

Started by earlyman55, February 14, 2009, 10:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earlyman55

Hi All -
I have a quick question - I am trying a recipe out of the book "Peace, Love and Barbeque" (great book, BTW!) Anyway, I'm using a recipe that calls for injecting the pork shoulder with a concoction and then using a dry rub on the outside. Afterwards, it is sealed  up using my vacuum sealer and put into the fridge overnight, before smoking.

The recipe dosen't indicate whether I should wash the rub off before smoking or not.... what do you all think?

Thanks for the help!

E

pensrock

I do not and would not remove the rub.

Mr Walleye

I agree with Pens... If it's a "rub"... I would not remove it.

Although if it was a cure... you would probably want to rinse it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

I Agree - Cure=Rinse Rub=No Rinse.

If there is Cure #1 or TenderQuick, or anything with Sodium Nitrate/Nitrite - Rinse.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

starship

Here is a link to my favorite rub.  If you explore his site further, you will lean about rubs, and other treatments.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_magic_dust.html
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

seemore

Welcome to the forum, E!  I agree with what the other gentleman say:  rub=no rinse!
Welcome to the forum, starship!  I will check out that link!
Seemore

KyNola

Welcome EM55,
A couple other thoughts on your question as my friends have pointed you in the right direction.  To help your rub stick to the pork, paint the pork first with cheap yellow mustard.  You won't taste the mustard in the final product but it willhelp retain the rub and also aid in creating the much sought after bark.

Also, if the pork is only going to be held overnight in the frig before cooking, I would not bother to vac seal it as I don't think the vac will have a significant effect on the final product.  I would simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and put in the frig overnight.

Just my opinions.  Have fun, you'll have a great end result.
KyNola

HCT

Quote from: KyNola on February 15, 2009, 07:32:20 AM
Welcome EM55,
A couple other thoughts on your question as my friends have pointed you in the right direction.  To help your rub stick to the pork, paint the pork first with cheap yellow mustard.  You won't taste the mustard in the final product but it willhelp retain the rub and also aid in creating the much sought after bark.

Also, if the pork is only going to be held overnight in the frig before cooking, I would not bother to vac seal it as I don't think the vac will have a significant effect on the final product.  I would simply wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and put in the frig overnight.

Just my opinions.  Have fun, you'll have a great end result.
KyNola

Nicely put. I agree. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

KY and the others are exactly spot on.  If you're doing a rub that has a lot of salt, I always make sure to go at least overnight with it.  The salt will draw a lot of moisture out and you want that time period for the meat to reabsorb the moisture that was lost with the addition of the salt.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra