• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Creole-Style sausage question

Started by JDNC, February 22, 2009, 04:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

It's a matter of taste. The raw onions Would probably give the product a slight sweetness but the browned onion would make it even sweeter.
You could do this, mix up your product with all the spices except the onion. Take 2 small sample amounts and add raw to one and fried to the other. Cook them up in a frying pan and taste, go with the one you like the best. Then you can add the onion to the mix.

Habanero Smoker

I guess my last post was not clear. It is a matter of flavor and texture, not weather or not you have to cook the onions because the sausage is to be smoked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JDNC

Thanks guys...I think I'll take RoadKing's advice and try both in patties prior to stuffing. ;D

JDNC

I going to make this sausage this week-end and found a 4lb bag of deer backstraps in my freezer.  Question.. how much pork-butt should I mix with the deer?  I thought I would just add pork-butt until I have 10 lbs.  What do you think?

I really need to cut back on fat and have some fat-replacer I've never used, but I swear I can't bring myself to use it as I'm scared I'll ruin a batch of sausage.  I guess I need to experiment with some patties.  One thing for sure..I'm making sausage this week-end!

JD

Roadking

I once used the fat replacer whem I made breakfast sausage, came out great.

JDNC

RoadKing,

Did you replace all fat with the fat-replacer?

JD

Roadking

It was natural fat free venison. Me and my hunting partner almost ate the whole thing after we made it.

JDNC

RoadKing,

You've talked me into it! I've got about 4 more lbs of venison in the freezer and plan to make it all with fat-replacer.  I think I'll also make breakfast sausage and eat it all. ;D

JD