• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first smoked sausage

Started by lumpy, March 23, 2009, 06:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Did my first batch of sausage a few weeks ago and used my Cabelas meat grinder with stuffer attachment. What a pain in the butt. This machine is totally useless for stuffing. Grinding, well thats a different matter.

Got so mad that I immediately called LEM and ordered a verticle 5 LB stainless stuffer. These have got to be the caddy of stuffers. What a pleasure ;D.

I used 21mm collagen which takes some practice ( I burst alot) and used 32 mm which were easy to stuff. I used a recipe from Rytek's book, the Italian smoked sausage and went nuts ;)

Took the 32mm 9 hours in the smoker (used Bradley's special blend) to reach 152 F.

Here is a picture of the final product.

Lumpy

smokeitall

Thats looks awesome, and good call on the stuffer, I don't know what I would do without mine.

Mr Walleye

Looks good Lumpy!  ;)

I'll second the "good call" on the stuffer! Using a grinder to stuff just isn't very fun!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Good Looking Snausage there Lumpy!! Too Bad your first experience was a rough one. They will get better with a vertical stuffer. Stuffing with a grinder is more like a Monkey %$*^%$ing a Football. Your all over the place, you need 5 arms and your totally exhausted when your done. IMHO
You will be more inclined to make sausage with your new stuffer. Good Call
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Looks good lumpy.

you will do much better with the stuffer over the grinder.

nepas

iceman

They said it all Lumpy. Nothing beats a good stuffer. Heck... I don't even mind it now when the boss lady tells me to go st_ff it. He he he.  ::) :D Just kidding of course.  ;)

Smokin Soon

There has been a lot of yak here on this subject. Bottom line is a grinder is a really crappy stuffer. You can spend anywhere from $70 to $140 for a good 5 pound stuffer that will make you happy with the hard work you have put in to your desired result. We kind of learn these things as we enter new recipes like sausages and snack sticks and such. But for the most part, if you think this is your thing, get the right stuff
do some reading and have some fun with some great results.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 23, 2009, 06:59:36 PM
There has been a lot of yak here on this subject. Bottom line is a grinder is a really crappy stuffer. You can spend anywhere from $70 to $140 for a good 5 pound stuffer that will make you happy with the hard work you have put in to your desired result. We kind of learn these things as we enter new recipes like sausages and snack sticks and such. But for the most part, if you think this is your thing, get the right stuff
do some reading and have some fun with some great results.

I agree.

A grinder is great for grinding and emulsification of meat for hot dogs. But for great sausage and sticks you need a stuffer.

nepas