• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS with PID not coming up to temp

Started by BigFella, March 20, 2009, 08:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigFella

Ok, so my new OBS with PID isn't getting above 195...  I had the PID set for 220 for a 12 pound picnic, but changed it to 250 as I also threw in some corned beef...  It's about 45 degrees here and there is some wind, but I put up a "wind barrier" and it has helped quite a bit.  I've been smoking with Apple and Hickory for about 2 hours now and can't get up any higher than 195!  Compound that with the fact that about 5 minutes ago I was checking the plugs and turned the temp level down with my foot, so now it's trying to recover from that...

My meat is up to 85 degrees but I'm starting to get concerned that the device isn't getting warm enough...

Thoughts?

I'm wanting to do a slab of ribs and some ABT's tomorrow, but I'm slightly worried...

canadiansmoker

With that much in the smoker it will take a while. I was doing 4 full racks of ribs and the smoker never did quite get back up to temp due to the condensation inside the smoker from the ribs and the colder weather as well. I did find that putting a few bricks in the smoker while preheating acts as a heat sink to help the temps recover a bit, but it will take quite a while. Make sure your vent is fully open as the condensation will definitely drop the temps down quite low.

BigFella

Well now I'm finally up to 210.  I removed the corned beef just a few minutes ago and placed them in the crock pot with some beef broth.

The IT of the picnic is up to 117, so there's progress.  I'm almost done with the smoke, so we'll see how turning off the generator affects the temp in the box.

I also found out that Auber accidentally sent me the wrong sensor - this one is only about a yard long and is for sous vide cooking, not the correct one for my OBS.  They're going to ship a new one out next week when I return this one.  Great customer service from them!

I didn't put a brick in and probably should have let the smoker come up to temp longer and the meat set out longer...  I'll be ready tomorrow for sure! :)

Keep the info coming though - thanks!!

Big Fella

KyNola

BigFella,
Even though you may be at the end of the smoking period, try leaving the smoke generator on.  Even though it is only 125 watts, it's still a heat source!

KyNola

FLBentRider

That sounds about right for temp recovery with that load, depending on how cold the picnic was when you put it in. Assuming the slider on the OBS was all the way to the right.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!