• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Anyone try running their OBS on 20a circuit?

Started by redsol1, March 14, 2009, 08:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

QuoteHis problem is, I believe, he is expecting cook products like he cooks them in a househokd oven and the Bradley is not designed for that purpose.
I agree...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

NoCaSmoka

This isn't really a smoker comment, but a voltage one.  I home roast my own green coffee beans.  At about $5 per lb for some of the best coffees in the world, who wouldn't.  But I digress.

Small home coffee roasters are very voltage sensitive.  Some are basically air popcorn poppers and rotisserie ovens, and without the "appropriate" voltage won't get hot enough.  I understand that in different areas, depending on your house wiring, whether you use a GFI plug, etc., your voltage can vary 10-20 volts.  The coffee bloggers recommend checking your voltage, and if it's less than about 120v, using an adjustable transformer to raise the voltage to that level.  The device is called a "variac", and you can get 'em on ebay or a lot of online sites if you don't have local access.  It doesn't directly affect amperage, just lets you adjust the voltage.

GFI's, if I understand correctly, can drop the voltage noticeably.  As can extension cords.  And without enough voltage, the amperage doesn't make much difference.  I think you could go [wall outlet] --> [extension cord] --> [variac] --> [Bradley] and adjust the output to 120v and get max output from the heating element.  Clearly using a high amp rated extension cord.  A quick google/ebay shows 10-20 amp versions for about $50-150 new and used.

Not that anyone here likes to tinker with their smokers.  ;)
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice