HELP!!!!! Which IS Which

Started by moses, March 20, 2009, 02:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moses

hey guys just fired up the smoker my problem is i bought a pork butt from SAMS club and it was packaged with a shoulder they both have bone in them so how do i tell them apart?

Habanero Smoker

The butt is also referred to as the shoulder. If they are cryovac there will be two separate pieces. If the bone is somewhat flat and shaped like an odd looking "T" (shoulder blade), both are butts. If the bone in one or the other is long and round it's the picnic shoulder. Also if it is the picnic it generally will have the hide (skin) still attached.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Moses,
It sounds like you bought a cryovaced "Pork Shoulder Butt" which contains 2 Bone in Butts. Usually they pack them together with one being about 5-6 lbs and the other being about 8-9lbs. Not a Pork Shoulder and a Pork Butt. The bones should both look like a flat topped wide umbrella. Which is the shoulder blade.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

moses

the package said pork shouldler and boston butt i didnt look at the bone to much so i will have to waite to look at the bone when they come out of the smoker. also i bought some country style ribs they are pretty big can i cook those just as long as the butts at the same temp im doing 4 hours of smoke at low 200s and then to the oven sitting on some juice at 205degs. what do the experts think?

FLBentRider

I think it sounds like a plan to me.

That's the way they package the butts at my Sams too. 2 roasts per package.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

moses

how will the ribs take to 12+ hours of slow cooking will they dry out ?

FLBentRider

You don't want to leave the ribs in that long.

I would check them after the four hours, and maybe give them 2-3 hours more.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

FLB is right.

12+ is way too long, might as well eat a burnt tree trunk sprinkled with bacon salt.

nepas

Ka Honu

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 22, 2009, 07:23:06 AM...might as well eat a burnt tree trunk sprinkled with bacon salt.

NePaS - Got a recipe for that?  Salt before or after?  Smoke or grill?

WhiteSmoke

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 22, 2009, 07:23:06 AM
12+ is way too long, might as well eat a burnt tree trunk sprinkled with bacon salt.

nepas

Ouch! 

Guess if it was hickory bark you could use a little garlic salt.  :D