• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat Grinder Plates

Started by Smokin Soon, March 31, 2009, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Ground up some pork today, and it seemed to be a little more effort than in the past. How long do grinder knives and plates last? Looking on line I see steel and stainless steel available for my #12 size.
Some say they are double sided. I thought they all were double sided. My plates look the same on both sides. Any advice appreciated.

Habanero Smoker

I can't help you much, I only have used the KitchenAid grinder, and that is double sided. I know you can easily sharpen them, but I can't locate the site I saw that at. Hopefully someone will come along that knows how to do it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Most machine shops should be able to sharpen them. I think they put them on a surface grinder to clean them up.

Tenpoint5

Smoking,
Just a curiosity question did this pork seem to be a little more fatty than normal? I remember running my Big Ugly #32 by hand and if the meat had more of a fat content and was cold. Would wear out the O'l wing pretty quick.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

Tenpoint, It was an exceptionally clean grind with a picnic butt and a ham leg, well trimmed and partially frozen cut into nice little cubes. I like to run it through a medium plate first and then a fine for a smooth texture. It was on the second grind that I had the problem. It's not a high end grinder, the low end one from Northern Tool but has served me well until now.

West Coast Sausage Maker

Is it a hand grinder? some times a little water added to the meat, (first grind) will lubricate the whole process.
Also I try to cut the meat into long strips, 10 or more inches a piece. once the screw grabs the end of a long piece it just pulls the whole thing along through the grinder, Manual or electric. 

Dont forget to keep things cold. Every pass through a grinder can increase the temp of the meat by 3 or 4 deg.
soylent green is people