• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID & Heatsink

Started by DrunkenMick, April 03, 2009, 03:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrunkenMick

Just received all my parts in the mail to build a PID based on http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

I see some used a heatsink and others did not.  I know it states optional but i also don't want a flaming cabinet of pig either :) Can i get away without one? 

NePaSmoKer

I didn't use a heat sink on the one I built, had no problems at all. I now have a programmable PID from Auber.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Mick

I think it's a toss up. There are some, myself included that used a heatsink and there are others that did not. I have since doubled my heaters (1000 watts total) so I'm glad that I did.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sodak

Depends on your current draw (for the elements) and the amperage capacity of the SSR's you are using.  I've used the heatsinks on mine to be on the safe side.

DrunkenMick

Thanks guys.  I wound up adding a heatsink.  Just took it off an old voodoo 3 video card i found in the closet (Old geeks will remember that card).

I will auto-tune tomorrow morning.  I don't have any bricks around to simulate a load, any other household items that'll work for that? 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: DrunkenMick on April 03, 2009, 07:04:45 PM
Thanks guys.  I wound up adding a heatsink.  Just took it off an old voodoo 3 video card i found in the closet (Old geeks will remember that card).

I will auto-tune tomorrow morning.  I don't have any bricks around to simulate a load, any other household items that'll work for that? 

If you have sand, and a few aluminum disposable pans, you can use that. Four pounds of sand, and a pint of water mixed in will approximate 5 pounds of meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DrunkenMick on April 03, 2009, 07:04:45 PM

Oh yeah

And red and blue orbs  ;D

nepas