Cabelas Hog Ring pliers question

Started by drano, April 05, 2009, 03:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

I just got back from Cable's and picked up their (Weston brand) hog ring pliers for closing summer sausage casings--had a gift card from Christmas that needed to be cashed in!
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat570001-cat20099&rid=&indexId=cat20099&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=3&parentType=index&parentId=cat20099&id=0023288

It doesn't seem to crimp tight enough to prevent slipping.  Or am I not using it correctly? 
I tried it on the end of 3 lb summer sausage I took out of the freezer.  There's no way it will hold the meat w/out slipping.  Do I need to crimp tight with regular pliers after doing the initial crimp w/ the hog ring pliers?   The directions say doubling over the end helps, but the casing is slippery, and I don't always have enough end for folding over. 

Maybe I should go to an auto parts store and get a good KD brand hog ring pliers.  Maybe it would be the correct upgrade from my $5 one I'm currently using.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks
drano

smokeitall

My father in law gave me his hog ring pliers.  They are very old but work great.  They crimp very tight and the sausage will not come out and the hog ring will not slip on the casing.  I do have to put a lot of pressure on them though.  Are you crimping them as tight as you can?

Piker

the size of the rings may be too large as they come in 3/8,1/2,and 5/8 in any of the stores here. Another problem you have to buy 100 at a time. If you know a butcher get him to give you diff. sizes th try out. Sometimes I leave more out the end as the 24in. casings are too long for my smoker. Piker

NePaSmoKer

drano

I have the exact same one. Your right it does not work good on thin collagen casings, but it does work good on fiberous casing. I use a hand crimper with 3/8" rings on collagen.

nepas

drano

Thanks guys for the info.

NePas,
Maybe the crimping nose on mine doesn't crimp as tight as yours.  I could slide them around on a 3 lb fiberous casing.  Of course, an additional pinch w/ a pliers locket it on tight.  But if I need to crimp twice, I might as well get the KD pliers for 1/2 the money.  I've already got a supply of 3/8" rings on hand. 

I guess I'll make a road trip back to Cabelas and return the pliers, and exchange it for the motor for my Cabelas suffer.  I've been eyeing the stuffer motor for a couple years, and its on sale, so I guess its time to add it to my sausage making equipment. ;D
drano

smokeitall

A motor for your stuffer....now that is a dedicated sausage maker.

I think that one from Cabelas comes with a foot pedal to.  That would be pretty slick to not have to be trying to turn the handle by hand and hold the casing with the other, you could just keep stuffing holding the casing with one hand and coiling up your sausage with the other....nice

drano

smokeitall
Yep, I like my toys.  I'm not saving any money making my own sausage for any time soon ;D. 
But I picked up the stuffer motor tonight.  Now I need to find time to make a batch so I can try it out. 
I normally have the wife help--I turn the crank, and she moves the sausage across the counter. 
Now it should be a one person operation. 
drano

smokeitall

But now your going to miss all that "quality time" with the wife  ;D ;D ;D