• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket free...Help

Started by NewfieSmoker, April 02, 2009, 01:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewfieSmoker

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and to Bradley smokers.  I have used a little chief forever to smoke salmon and finally loosened up the purse strings and got a bradley.  I love it!  Pork Ribs, Beef ribs, Salmon, Fatties and almonds have already turned out good.

I want to smoke a brisket.  Off I go to the nearest city on a grocery run.  I check at two supermarkets for a brisket.  They tell me at the meat market that they dont bring in Briskets....never have....(not many people smoke anything other then salmon here in Newfoundland).  Off I go to a traditional butcher shop...a butcher from Scotland....no briskets either, has never sold one...!!! (I did get some of the best freshly made scottish Brats I've ever eaten though...good trade off).

So I cant get a brisket.  I really want to loooong smoke a nice big piece of beef and even try some pastrami.

What do you recommend instead of a Brisket???  I was thinkin Eye of round for the pastrami.

Thanks.  This forum has solved every problem for me so far.

Rob
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

Mr Walleye

Hi Rob

I just finished making 10 lbs of Habs Pastrami Recipe using Eye of Round and it turned out fantastic. I don't see why top or bottom round wouldn't work as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I might have to switch to eye of round. Just got back from Sam's and they will no longer carry brisket in my area. It doesn't sell well. I had to go to Hannaford and they wanted $3.50/lb. untrimmed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Newfie

Got a Wal-mart, Sams or Costco, Gordon Foods around.  They usually have the whole briskets.  Although today, I went to my usual Sams and all they had was trimmed flats.  Bummer. I hope that is not the same as Hab's Sams.  They had plenty of clods, but no whole brisket.  I'd be real surprised they sell more clods that they do brisket - but I guess they would know.  I'd be curious as to how an Eye of Round or a Rump roast would low and slow.  They seem too lean, but might be great.  I'm going to do a bottom round weekend after this weekend.  Most seem to have more marbling than the eye or top.  I've been doing a number of chuck roasts lately and they turn out well, but take longer than you think they would, because they probably need to go to at least 200 IT, probably 205 IT, before they pull apart.  And probably need to be wrapped when getting over 175 or 180.  I did one this weekend, pulled at 188, but it was still slicing tender, not fall apart.  Trying to find minimum for truly tender chuckie.  I think the bigger, the better.  I bet that Scottish butcher could cut you some big chuck or shoulder roasts.  Some areas of the country/world have other shoulder area roasts that should be good.  Shoulder area seem to hold more fat rather than the rear of the cow.  And seem to be less expensive.  A tri tip would be good if you can find one as well as a shoulder top blade (sometimes called flat iron steak) if you can find them thick enough.  Of course you can step it up in price and whole New York Strips, rib roasts, or rib eye roasts.  Those will usually set you back some change! 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

westexasmoker

Dang I need to start shipping briskets, packers on sale this week for .99 cents a lb!  I think I see a full freezer in my future!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

What really irks me is that there is a small family run slaughter house 10 miles from me, but he will not sell beef unless I purchase 1/4 carcass though he prefers to sell whole or half. He will butcher them any way you like.

With Sam's Clubs it really a matter of regions, and what central distribution center supplies your particular club. I have 2 Sam's Clubs within 45 miles driving distance. I know that the one furthest away often carries different inventory, so I'm going to give them a call.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NewfieSmoker

Wow guys,

Thanks for the quick replies.  I think I will take Mr Walleye's advise and try a eye of round for a pastrami.  As far as a big roast, I guess as long as it has good marbling it's worth a try.  I may even try a big prime rib roast.  Really easy to get here and usually on sale pretty cheap every couple of months.  I may have a couple in the freezer.  Will post a pic.

Thanks again.  Auber PID should be here soon!
Smoke em if you got em!

Rob

Caribou

I think what makes a brisket kind of scarce is that there are usually only two nice size roasts from one entire steer.
I also wonder if there is a shortage since St. Patty's day was just a couple weeks ago and there always seems to be enough corned beef brisket to go around then!
Carolyn