• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital Timer

Started by okeejohn, April 06, 2009, 07:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

I did my first over night cook, a 7.7 lb Bone in Pork Butt, in my BDS and noticed that the timer can only go to 9 hrs and 40 min. as well as the cook time. What do you guys do for longer cooks like 17 hours? Also, I noticed an E would appear on my smoker display and I try to reset it and still appeared. Not right away but during the cook. Any ideas? Could it be from setting the smoke time for 9 hrs and 40 min when actually I smoked for 4 hrs and used Bubba Pucks. Could the weight of the Bubba Pucks (I noticed that they did not end up in the water bowl) have stopped the foward progression on the heating element and sent an E message??

Okeejohn

Tenpoint5

Okeejohn I'm not a Bubba puck user so I can't comment on that. But if your doing a long smoke like that in the Bradley. Just reset the cook time back to 9:20 then 9:40 before you go to sleep and you only get to sleep for that long. That's how I do it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

The only way around the time thing is to purchase a PID which gives you vertually limitless time.
I've also had the E appear. One of the pucks is stuck or jammed. Just give the generator box a good shake and that usually fixes the problem. If its an older unit, take it apart and give it a good cleaning. The unit fills up with lots of wood chips.

Your Bubba puck will not end up in the water bowls since there is no puck beyond the bubba to push it any further. I use aluminum Bubbas and they work great for me.

Lumpy

okeejohn

Thanks Lumpy. Do you have a PID??

Okeejohn

lumpy

Yes I do have a PID. I bought it from Auber. They are very knowledgable about the Bradleys.
I don't always use. Only when I need several different temperatures or need a long smoke.

OR when friends come over and I can dazzle them with all the fancy electronics.
BDS, PID, Maverick ET-73.......and case of beer ;D

I used my unit for a year before I decided to invest in a PID.

Lumpy

Habanero Smoker

Are you using 2 o 3 Bubba pucks. If using 2 Bubba pucks  and they were the last items you loaded, meaning you didn't put any other bisquettes on top of the Bubba pucks they will remain on the guide. If the Bubba pucks made it to the guide, and the first Bubba puck is fully on the heating plate, I wouldn't think that they could be the cause. They have made it to the guide they are no longer in contact with the mechanism that pushes the bisquettes. If the first Bubba puck is not fully on the heating plate then it is likely there was a jam as the second puck was being pushed through.

If you were using three, and none of them made it to the water bowl, then the Bubba pucks could have jammed the mechanism, or it could have just been a failure caused by something else, but the weight would not have been an issue.

What is an "E" message?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

okeejohn

Habanero,
should I use 2 Bubba pucks rather then 3?

Okeejohn

Habanero Smoker

No you are correct, 3 will push the last puck to the heating pad. I use 2 plus a bisquette on top.

As RoadKing would put it, it was a "Brain Fart".  :)

But if all the pucks made it to the guide, and free of all moving parts then I wouldn't believe that would have caused the "E" error. Many have used 3 Bubba pucks, and no one has reported a problem with the mechanism not being able to push three; but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

If it should occur again, then maybe try 2 Bubba Puck, plus on bisquette on top.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I use three with no problems.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DrtiBird

Quote from: okeejohn on April 06, 2009, 07:22:02 PM
Habanero,
should I use 2 Bubba pucks rather then 3?

Okeejohn

On my BDS6 it takes three Bubba Pucks to get the 1st one on the heating pad.  I only use two as I don't care about the Bubba making it to the heat pad.  There has been some discussion about creosote as a result of letting those pucks burn too long; I have not detected that and quite often use another water pan on the lowest rack and none in the used puck bowl.  If I'm getting creosote it is so light that I can't detect it.

It may be that my gourmet taste buds aren't as refined as these old timers!!  ;D
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

sherlock

I use 3 Bubba pucks with no biscuites on top. When unit finishes, one bubba puck is on the heating pad and the other two are backed up behind it. I understand that is the way it is meant to be.

Yes, For long smokes you must reset everything after the max hours unless you have a PID. No big deal though............

I love my Bradley......
8)