took out of storage... MOLD!

Started by specialmoose, July 21, 2009, 10:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

specialmoose

I've had the smoker for about 3 years now. Wonderful little machine. I had it stored away in my shop since I had no fish to smoke. Caught 6 red salmon the other day and decided to smoke them all. Cut, brine, and cured all the salmon and was ready to smoke them all until I opened up the smoker. Mold, mold, mold. I thought I had opened up a bio-weapon on mistake!

I think what happened was whoever used the smoker last didn't clean all the gunk off the racks and pans. Most of the mold appeared to be on the racks with the rest on the bottom pan and on the side walls. Took me a good hour or so to clean the pans and the scrubbing off the side walls (with a mask on and a brush). I threw the racks away as they appeared to be a lost cause and bought new ones. After cleaning, I left the heating element and dispenser on at full heat for a good hour or so. Then, I added some briquettes at full heat for another hour. After that, I loaded the sucker up with salmon and tasted just fine.

Couple questions though. What is the best way to store the smoker? Seems common sense would say to clean any food particles in the smoker and keep it away from moisture. I'm having second thoughts and thinking about taking the metal plate off the door to see if there is mold behind that. Do the side walls come off too? I think I "may" be fine having the unit at full heat (240F+) for more than an hour. I can't visually see any more mold.

Gizmo

Can't answer the questions about the sides coming off but the best way to store it is to use it every weekend.   :D  O.K. maybe 2 times a month or more. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If you put your smoker in storage, I would clean it the way you suggest. Make sure all food particles are cleaned from the surface, and that all racks, drip pan, bowl and drip tray are thoroughly cleaned. Maybe also wiping it down with white vinegar.

I wouldn't think removing the side and door panels will be necessary; but I would concentrate on were there are any seams. The high heat would have destroyed any living bacteria. I guess as a precaution you could remove the back, and bottom panels (which is easy to do) to see if there are any signs that the mold got beneath the inside panels.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

If all the food is washed off the racks and pans, I would imagine that simply keeping the door ajar in an area where rain can't hit it would suffice.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Dont store it. Smoke everything, meat, cheese, veggies, cerial, ice cream, pizza, gravy, breads, water, air, smoke  :D  ;D

Hey    smoked cigars  ;D

nepas

smokeitall

YEP SMOKEITALL, then you don't have to worry about the mold  ;D ;D

OU812

Thats what I was going to say, just through something in it every weekend and smoke away. Heck I even smoke p-nuts, with lots of hot sauce of course.

specialmoose

I've only used the smoker for fish. Maybe I will start using it more often. Never thought about using it for anything other than fish.

Smoking peanuts seems like a great idea!