beef ended up very dry

Started by teet, May 01, 2009, 11:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teet

i rubbed seasoning on and let it stay in a fridge for 24h or more.i injected apple juice in it to. after that  i put it in a smoker with 220F and waited until IT reached 200. looks good but its dry like a cardboard. i dont know what i did wrong >:(
thank you

FLBentRider

What cut / grade of beef was it ?

how much fat ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Without the answers to FLBR's questions, my guess is the IT of 200 was simply too well done and the moistness of the meat simply all cooked away unless you were going after pulled brisket or something.  Otherwise, 200 is really well done in the beef category.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Brisket is a tough cut of meat, I take mine to ~190, but when I did that with a select grade sams brisket it was tough.

A USDA Prime brisket on the other hand, taken to the same temp, was awesome!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

teet

thanks
i just have to buy more expensive meat ;D

KyNola

So it was a brisket you were smoking?

KyNola

Gizmo

I have done select whole packer briskets that turned out just as tender as juicy as any other.

If you would like a little more diagnostics on the dryness, please add some more detail on what cut of meat you were smoking, why were you going for 200 deg IT, how long was it smoking/cooking, and how did you finish the meat (i.e. foil wrap, pulled straight out, let meat rest, cut into it immediately, etc.).  As the others mentioned, an IT of 200 would be way to high especially if it was cooked at a low temperature and over a long time.  If the cut was a brisket, was it a flat with little fat on it or did you trim a lot of fat off?  Any additional info would help us diagnose the patient.   ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/