How often do you smoke?

Started by Chez Bubba, January 29, 2004, 02:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

Just curious, how many times a year do you smoke? Is it seasonal or year-round?

Me, it's year-round, probably averaging twice a month. We don't entertain that often, but when we do, it's a PARTY. This year, Indy 500, we're planning on serving up about 250 pounds of smoked excellence!

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ARCHERYNUT

Been trying to get first batch ever in. I live in north east Indiana and have been hit with snow and sub zero temps since the Bradley arrived. I tried to use the garage but only have two prong outlets. I am about ready to give my wife so competition with her 15 burning candles and start the Bradley up in the kitchen.

oh yeah ..what time does that Indy 500 party start..lol

Fuzzybear

Been smoking at least once a month......fish mainly.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Bassman

I've been smokeing every weekend since I got it. I am going to keep at it till I perfect some recipes & technics. Besides that it is just plain fun making stuff!!I plan on using it all year round.So far had absolutely no problem getting smoker up to 250 degrees when it was 15 degrees outside.I do have it in a shed out of the wind,but not heated.So far I've made: Turkey Breast,venison sausage & spare ribs.Made some mistakes but all was awesome.[:p]Doing another Turkey Breast this weekend.In the future I want to try Fish,cheese and just about any thing I can get my hands on.

Jack
Jack

Fuzzybear

Yeah buddy!
That all sounds good - there will be a lot of experimenting with mine also...if I ever get it! (hee hee!)  Shame on me for not orderding thru Chez Bubba, Erik and his staff...

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Bassman

I agree, you should have ordered it from Chez-Bubba.Let me tell you my story. A new cabelas store just opened here in PA in Sept. In Dec.just before Christmas I went there and wanted to buy a Bradley Smoker. They told me that they were out and the Bradleys were back ordered from the manufacture and earliest arrival would be mid Jan.I went to there web site found Chez-Bubba listed as a dealer,went to their web site found the Bradley cheaper with free bisquetts.And had it in just a few days.[:D][:p][:o)].But don't be so hard on yourself we all make mistakes[:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ARCHERYNUT</i>
<br />Been trying to get first batch ever in. I live in north east Indiana and have been hit with snow and sub zero temps since the Bradley arrived. I tried to use the garage but only have two prong outlets. I am about ready to give my wife so competition with her 15 burning candles and start the Bradley up in the kitchen.

oh yeah ..what time does that Indy 500 party start..lol
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey A-N,

How far are you from Goshen? Heck we're neighbors!

In my experience, it's no big deal to use the Bradley outside on the deck during the winter. If the winds are high, shield it a bit. Preheating helps, as well as letting the meat come to room temp before putting it in the smoker (except poultry). It might take an hour or two longer than in the summer, but don't let our winters stop you. Notice how many Canadians are posting about their recent batches?

Party starts Thursday night, continuing through after the race on Sunday, Coke Lot on Georgetown & 25th. Big smoke is Saturday, all day.[8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ARCHERYNUT

I live in Huntington just south of Ft. Wayne, I am guessing about an hour from Goshen. Thinking of getting a heavy duty extension cord. I do roofing construction in the summer and have learned that when some equipment(exp. air compressor) are used with an extension cord they do not run at their peak performance as they would if pluged in
 directly.  I seen in the owners manual they recommend no more than 6'. I may pick up a 20' and let you know how it worked.

PAsmoker

I bought my smoker at the new Cabelas a few weeks ago.  They had a stainless model in the bargain cave that looked like it had a dent underneath the unit.  No big deal, since it didn't take away from the appearance.  I got it for only $317 (instead of 499).  When I got it home, it had a broken light tube.  It took Bradley all of 1 day to get me a replacement.  Wonderful customer service.  I've been smoking ever since.
The Original PAsmoker

Bassman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAsmoker</i>
<br />I bought my smoker at the new Cabelas a few weeks ago.  They had a stainless model in the bargain cave that looked like it had a dent underneath the unit.  No big deal, since it didn't take away from the appearance.  I got it for only $317 (instead of 499).  When I got it home, it had a broken light tube.  It took Bradley all of 1 day to get me a replacement.  Wonderful customer service.  I've been smoking ever since.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Where are you from PAsmoker? I'm from the Wilkes-Barre area.Actually Mountaintop.

Jack

Kummok

Smokin' year 'round here in Homer, AK. Intensity increases during salmon runs since I prefer to smoke fresh rather than frozen. So far, all I've smoked is fish, mostly salmon....not that smoking fish is a BAD thing, but I know I'm missing out on so much more, sooooo.......as soon as my Doc lets me (recent single bypass), I'd like to jump into a more well rounded smoker's life and try some of the really good food I've hearing about on this forum. If I was anywhere within 200 miles of Goshen, I'd DEFINITELY be dropping by the Coke Lot on Indy Day!!  Second to that, I'm looking forward to learning a few smokin tips, outside my "comfort zone" soon!  Building new decks this summer and incorporating an "outdoor smoking/cooking" kitchen into the design of the deck. I like dutch oven cooking, and regular grilling as well and that, like the BS, is best done OUTSIDE! [:D]

For an idea of what it's like roughing it in the frozen climes of Homer, AK, go to:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kummok/   (Best viewed in Netscape)
RC

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

PAsmoker

Bassman, I'm from Lepnun (that's Lebanon for those who aren't pennsylwania dutch) county.
The Original PAsmoker

PAsmoker

Bassman, I'm from Lepnun (that's Lebanon for those who aren't pennsylwania dutch) county.
The Original PAsmoker

Bassman

PAsmoker you live about 2hrs. away from me, howdy neighbor!

Archerynut, about that extension cord,I have a 100'heavy duty cord that I used to run a pool filter. I use it with my smoker and have no problem getting temps of 250f when it's 15f degrees outside.

Jack

ARCHERYNUT

Picked up a heavy duty 15' cord with a built in GFI. Could not get temp above 200. Was not sure if it was outside temp or the cord. Turns out it was neither. I had all 4 trays filled to max. capacity. The temp went up with each tray that I took out. actually had to turn it down while waiting for the turkey roast to finish. Every thing turned out perfect. Smoked every thing for 2 hrs and the longest anything was in there was 5hr.