NAMP Meat Buyers Guide.... bargain!

Started by ExpatCanadian, April 29, 2009, 09:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

After my recent experience trying to buy brisket here in the UK, and realising that there are many differences between what things are called in North America vs. what they are called here in the UK, I've been looking at the following book:

The Meat Buyers Guide: Beef, Lamb, Veal, Pork, and Poultry

...not only to be able to know exactly what to order and how to describe it to my butcher, but to be more of a meat geek :D myself, as I've always been interested in this stuff.  I was born and raised on a grain farm in Saskatchewan, Canada so definitely have a bit more awareness of where my food comes from than your average city person....  but even the animals we raised, with the exception of poultry, were sent off farm for slaughter and processing.  So...  in spite of an agricultural background I have this huge gap in knowledge to fill!

Anyway, the $70 price tag was putting me off...  they sell it here in the UK for £47.50, but still a lot to pay for a book that in all reality I won't be reading every day!  However, I just plugged the ISBN number into Amazon.co.uk and managed to find a slightly used copy of the latest edition for £17.00!  Thought I couldn't go very far wrong at that price, so it's on it's way.... (hopefully not too bloodstained!!)

So.... just thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has this book....  or any of their other publications....  and if nothing else perhaps help anyone who is interested in finding a decent meat reference book!

Gizmo

I havent seen it.  If it contains the translation between countries, that could be very useful here with folks all around the globe represented.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

3rensho

Thanks for the tip.  That's a problem I've run into here in Europe.  Everyone seems to cut meat differently.  I've been compiling lists of US and German and French equivalents from the internet and now have a reasonable handle on the situation.  Will be interested to hear your comments about the book after you get it.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ExpatCanadian

Hi Gizmo/3rensho,

I think the book only covers North American, and probably more specifically American cuts...  however, another book I was considering was this one...which seems to be an international cross-reference.  Much more affordable too.... so we'll see how I get on with the NAMP book first.

3rensho, where in Switzerland are you?  I spend time there a couple times a year normally, as I have a good friend there....

Habanero Smoker

The second book you posted a link to sounds more interesting, and it seems more tailored to what you are looking for. I may even purchase that one, just for my own reference.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

tdcooper,

Thanks for the second link.  I'll have to check it out more closely.  I live about 15km outside of Basel literally on the border to Alsace.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ExpatCanadian

I've driven through Basel on my way from the UK...  but that's as close as I've been.  My friend lives in Sils i/D, near Chur.... I tend to spend every other "Sylvester" there, do some skiing and generally enjoy her fantastic cooking (she's a chef)!  This year the goal is to get my wife skiing....  she's a ballet dancer, so she is rather understandably scared of breaking something necessary to her profession!

The more I think about it, I may have clicked too soon to buy the NAMP guide, but as I said I can't go too wrong for £17... at that price I can afford to buy the second one too  ;D

sherlock

Meat Cuts and Muscle Foods: An International Glossary

Just checked Amazon. Here in the states they want $60.

I will wait to see what others think before I consider buying a copy at that price.

;D