Smoked Catfish Dip

Started by bigcatdaddy, April 26, 2009, 06:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

I've got some smoked Catfish left and want to make a dip with it.  Does anyone have any suggestions on making a base for the dip.  I was think about Cream Cheese and Sour Cream, but not for sure.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

BCD

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

BCD

I've never made it but here is a thread with a recipe. Although they used Kingfish they say it was originally for Catfish.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9589.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

sodak

10.5 - we think you're right on the pimento cheese.  Wow.... that catfish looks good.

Wildcat

You may want to try the one in the link that Mike posted above and substitute the pepper and hot sauce with horseradish.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

bigcatdaddy

Going to attempt it tonight.  Thanks for the info and will try a little substitution with hot sauce!!

BCD

Caneyscud

I have made smoked catfish dip many times.  Main thing is not to obsess about it.  What ever (just about) you put in it, it will turn out mighty tasty.  I usually only use cream cheese, but don't know why sour cream would not be a good addition.  I usually use about 2 or 3 of the smaller fillets to each 8 oz brick of microwave warmed CC - but then if you think you want it meatier add more, or more dippier, less meat.  Sometimes, I might add a little mayo.  Then add the spices I want but usually, salt, pepper, garlic, dill, italian blend, cajun blend, and some cayenne to get the heat you might want.  I always add EVOO for taste and I will also add a little lemon juice to brighten it up.  You can chill it until serving, but be sure to pop it back into the microwave a little, as the CC will set back up.  It is actually a good thing to stuff things with.  Think fish, porkchops, mushrooms, chicken.  Or make a wrap with it.  Some of the dip down the center of a flour tortilla, lay slice of lox down, with some scrambled eggs on top of that, then top off with some very thinly slices lettuces drizzles with EVOO and wine vinegar.  Wrap that baby up as best as you can and enjoy!  Will also work with tilapia, bass, stripe, halibut, and probably others, but haven't tried it with them.  Got some smoked mullet in the fridge right now, I might try it out on next.  BTW, hot sauce is a good addition.  Louisiana style does best.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bigcatdaddy

My tastebuds are running wild now!!!!
BCD

smokeitall

Hey Bigcatdaddy, can you share your recipe for smoked Catfish?

bigcatdaddy

Smokeitall.

I try to get all my fillets the same size to start with.  Ones that are bigger than the others I cut up and try to make all my pieces uniform.  I then pat dry the pieces of fish and put the rub on.  You can adjust the amount of rub for your taste, but be careful because the fish will tend to absorb the rub fairly quick.  I try to let the fish sit in the fridge after I apply the rub to help with the marinating process.  I have also put the rub on and thrown right into the Bradley.  It all depends on how much time you have.

I get the fish out of the fridge and let them warm up while I'm preheating the Bradley.  I run the Bradley up to about 250 before I throw the Cats in.  Then after I get them in I adjust the heat to about 215-220.  I then smoke for 2 hrs with Apple or Hickory and the vent about 1/2 open.  I also try to put the bigger cuts of fish towards the bottom and the smaller ones up top in the smoker.

When the fish starts to firm up I start pulling them out.  The more firm they are the drier the fish will be.  Once they are pulled I let them sit for awhile and then enjoy.

I use a real basic rub for them and you can experiment with several different things.  It's all good!!

RUB INGREDIENTS
1 cup Paprika
1 cup fresh Ground Pepper
1 cup Kosher Salt
2/3 cup Granulated Garlic
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons of Cayenne Pepper

You can adjust the rub portions as you see fit.  I make a large amount of this base at a time and add ingredients for different applications.

BCD

smokeitall

Thanks BCD I will hopefully be going fishing this week with some customers of mine and will try this if I bring any cats back.

bigcatdaddy

The dip turned out great.  AS always I made alot.  I wonder if you can freeze it?????  Anyone know?

BCD

Caneyscud

Yep, it may separate a little, but just mix it back together.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordiaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

bigcatdaddy

Good Deal!!  I'll freeze it up........if I don't eat it all first!!!