1st Attempt

Started by Helheim, April 27, 2009, 12:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helheim

Just got a 4 rack DBS and tried to make some jerky on the weekend. I did lots of reading on here but it still didn't turn out the best. I smoked it for 1h 40min at 150F then raised it to 170F for another 5hr 20min. It was a bit dry, I noticed the temp was usually around 180F when I looked at it. Is this normal when it's set at 170?  Just some quick questions:

1. How often do you move the racks around?

2. I ordered a Reveo and some Hi Mountain jerky kits but can they be used together with the curing salt? If so how long in the Reveo?

3. Where can I find some good wet marinade recipes that work well with the Reveo?

4. How long do you normally go after it's done smoking?

Thanks

sherlock

8)Welcome to our world.

Now the fun begins
;D
I am not an expert by far, but I usually set temp at 210 and smoke for 2 or 3 hours and then finish in a dehydrator. If you don't have a dehydrator just leave the jerky in the Bradley with no smoke until the dryness is where you want it.

I know this is very vague, but someone more knowledgible will be along shortly. There are some real heavy duty members here who can answer most all your questions.

Tenpoint5

Helheim, Welcome Aboard!!!

The resident expert and jerky making extraordinaire would Nepa's. I would suggest picking his brain. Just dont try to sneak any jerky off the table when he aint looking he's got one of them jerky guard dogs!!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Helheim

I've been doing some more reading and a lot of places say to precook the meat to 160F (165F for poultry) before smoking or dehydrating but I haven't really seen that mentioned anywhere on here. Does anyone do that?

I just got a Cabela 80L too so it it safe to make ground meat jerky at only 140-150F?

Thanks

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Helheim on May 01, 2009, 07:59:39 AM
I've been doing some more reading and a lot of places say to precook the meat to 160F (165F for poultry) before smoking or dehydrating but I haven't really seen that mentioned anywhere on here. Does anyone do that?

I just got a Cabela 80L too so it it safe to make ground meat jerky at only 140-150F?

Thanks

I never pre cook the meat, not even poultry. If you smoke the meat for 4 pucks of smoke @ 165* then put in your dehydrator @ 150/155* you will be fine. Be sure to use cure #1 with the beef and poultry.

nepas

Helheim

I'm making GB jerky today. I smoked it for 1hr 20 mins @ 150F now it's in the dehydrator. How many mins are typical in there for 5lbs of meat @ 155F?

Helheim

Dried it a bit too much...

NePaSmoKer

Nice job Helheim

Put your jerky in a brown paper bag for 2 days in the fridge.

nepas