• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Under the gun

Started by jha1223, April 27, 2009, 07:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jha1223

That's what I was kind of hoping ;) 

It's sitting in the oven and I just got word dinner will need to be ready oh ... 3 hours ahead of what I planned.  So, I'm losing a few hours.  Just hoping the brisket gets up to temp by then :-\
There is such a thing as BBQ in Nebraska!

jha1223

Well, I was REALLY hoping to post a picture or two of the finished product but I was rushed and needed to get the food in front of the guests.  So how did it go? 

My wife asked me if I could do a rack of ribs tomorrow.  I consider that a "win".  Her mother wants me to make some brisket for next weekend.  Another win.   My wife asked what else could we smoke in that thing.  :)

The brisket was a little dry (as i had suspected it would be) but still pretty darn tasty.  So, here's what I'm thinking I need to do next time.  Little less rub.  I am guessing here, but I think I might have leeched some of the moisture from the brisket with so much rub considering it was flat only.  I will definitely be starting the day before and doing more FTC if it is even remotely possible.  The brisket being a little dry could also have had to do with not enough oven and FTC time.

Gotta say, WTS, you were on the money with pretty much everything.  I appreciate everyone's help and looks like I found a new hobby.  My wife sealed the deal tonight when we were talking after dinner.  She said, "Looks like we never have to go out for BBQ ever again."  How's that for a compliment (to the Bradley anyway hehe)?

Tenpoint5

Ding Ding Ding WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!
Congrats there JHA, Glad everything turned out for you.

I'm sure WTS will concur but IMHO the rub wasn't what dried out your Brisket. It was the lack of a fat cap (The Butcher) that dried out your Brisket. But Who cares, you still got MIL approval and a request for more. Now that Momma sealed the deal with her comment. Time to buy some more Toyools to assist you in your new hobby.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

Quote from: jha1223 on May 03, 2009, 12:29:19 AM
The brisket was a little dry (as i had suspected it would be) but still pretty darn tasty. 
I will definitely be starting the day before and doing more FTC if it is even remotely possible.  The brisket being a little dry could also have had to do with not enough oven and FTC time.
How's that for a compliment (to the Bradley anyway hehe)?

The others here have pretty much summed up the possibilities for dry brisket including your own (except for the rub, I don't think that was a factor either). 

One of the nice thinks with using the foil boat after 4 hours of smoke, you get a lot good juices that collect in the bottom of the foil pan.  That au jus goes well over the top of a dry brisket.  You could also use a little beef stock or pre-packaged au jus if needed.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

jha1223

Quote from: Gizmo on May 03, 2009, 01:52:48 PM
One of the nice thinks with using the foil boat after 4 hours of smoke, you get a lot good juices that collect in the bottom of the foil pan.  That au jus goes well over the top of a dry brisket. 

I told my wife when I pulled the brisket out of the pan that there had to be something good to do with that! 

By the way, thanks for making me an addict over night.